citroen xantia brakes

recently purchased 1999 xantia 1.8 sx, I have changed the 4 corner spheres due to suspension being bouncy front and back, I have also changed the clutch due to it slipping, but I have now got a problem with the brakes! When braking it's fine until the last few feet when the ABS always seems to kick in with very little pressure on the peddle, could this be the centre front sphere? Anyone got an idea what is wrong as this is the first citroen I have owned and the way things are going it will be the last !!!!

Reply to
cwinossett

If the centre front sphere is away you will hear a fast ticking from the front, the tick should be at least every 30seconds. Also remember how the brakes work on a xantia, when you press on the pedal you are opening a valve which releases pressure to the front brakes, it also opens a valve to the rear brakes but that depends how much weight is on the rear suspension. As you come to a halt you can lift your foot off the brakes, when you finally come to a halt you do not have to put much pressure on the pedal. It is one of the quirks of the Citroen braking/suspension system, after 5 BX's and presently run 2 turbo diesel Xantias, I like the quirkiness of them and what other car can you change the complete suspension (spring and shocks) for less than £30 a corner + an hous labour for the lot!!

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes

Dieseldes ( snipped-for-privacy@orange.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

That's the accumulator you're talking about - not what's usually referred to as the "centre sphere", which this doesn't have, being an SX so not having Hydractive.

To the OP - Think of the accumulator sphere as the battery in the electrics and the pump as the alternator. You'll generate plenty of electricity even if the battery's knackered, but you won't have any in reserve. The condition of the accumulator is VITAL for safety.

Please change the LHM, too - and don't forget the antisink sphere - which does come into play on the rear suspension and also acts as an accumulator for the rear brakes (And if you can do that and the rear centre on a hydractive Xant or XM in an hour...)

Reply to
Adrian

It is possible that the accumulator sphere ( the one on the engine ) is causing your problem and even if it is not you should still replace it when you do the four corners as this sphere provides the backup pressure to operate the brakes if the engine stalls and has the same sort of life span as the others. Having looked on the net after buying my '99 Xantia and finding that I too needed to sort the suspension the general opinion is that all spheres should be replaced as a set ( except possibly the anti-sink sphere in the center at the rear which is only there to stop the car 'sinking' over night and serves no other purpose). As it is 'good practise' to change the accumulator sphere along with the rest then it would be best to change yours and it may cure your fault!

Hope this helps

Radar

Reply to
radar

Reply to
cwinossett

: It is possible that the accumulator sphere ( the one on the engine ) is : causing your problem and even if it is not you should still replace it when : you do the four corners as this sphere provides the backup pressure to : operate the brakes if the engine stalls and has the same sort of life span : as the others.

Coo, does the Xantia really only have one accumulator sphere? The DS has a separate one for the front brakes.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Ian Johnston ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yep. It's only Ds and cars with Diravi steering (CX, SM, a few XMs) that have a separate brake acc.

Reply to
Adrian

: Ian Johnston ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much : like they were saying : : : >: It is possible that the accumulator sphere ( the one on the engine ) : >: is causing your problem and even if it is not you should still : >: replace it when you do the four corners as this sphere provides the : >: backup pressure to operate the brakes if the engine stalls and has : >: the same sort of life span as the others. : : > Coo, does the Xantia really only have one accumulator sphere? : : Yep. It's only Ds and cars with Diravi steering (CX, SM, a few XMs) that : have a separate brake acc.

Ta.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston