Citroen Xantia - cooling probelm - aircon(?)

My Xantia is overheating. It would appear that the fans in the front are not kicking in, so on a freeway it is fine, but in traffic the temp goes up very quickly and if very hot, Need to stop and switch off. It also seems to use water although I never see steam coming out of the radiator cap - there is a deposit around one of the hose seals, which may be a leak.

I suspect that this is a problem with the switch which is referred to in the Haynes manual as the 'Biltron' switch. Question is:

How difficult is this to get to and check/change ( Haynes seem to indicate that this is not easy!) How much should a new one cost If I let a garage do it, is it an expensive item ?

Many thanks,

Reply to
DIr

what model and year of xantia?, on my 1.9td 1998 the bitron relay is in the ecu box on the nearside of the engine box. When you switch on the ac the fans should run all the time. whether or not the AC is actually working!

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes

It could well be the Bitron sensor although I've not had to replace one. Try asking on alt.autos.citroen (I've just cross posted it there for you.

Reply to
Malc

I think the Bitron unit is hidden under some bracketry behind the nearside headlight, but don't quote me on this.

Fan problems on the Xantia are frequently due to bad contact/wiring on the three relays between the fans. They should both run at half-speed with the air con on and full speed when the engine temp gets too high.

Try pulling the brown plug off the sensor on the thermostat housing, the fans should run at full blast.

Have a search on

This subject comes up frequently :o) Alan

Reply to
Alan Vann

Model is Xantia 1.8I LX Auto 5 Door Hatchback-Registration date 08/1998

Reply to
DIr