Citroen Xantia starter motor problems

My 1996 petrol Xantia began to have starter problems about two month

ago. Sometimes it would start perfectly, but every now and then i would just make a few clicks. However within two or three minutes i would always start. This week it just clicks.

The battery is fine, so I guess it's the solenoid/starter motor Someone suggested tapping the starter motor with a hammer, but I don' know where it is (The starter motor, I know where the hammer is).

Any bright ideas? At least to get it to the garage.

Thank

-- RichardMichael

Reply to
RichardMichael

RichardMichael wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@autobanter.co.uk:

Either the starter or solenoid are on the way out, or you have a loose connection. Check the connections, then try whacking it. Failing that you'll have to bump start it to get it going. The starter will be low down and mounted where the engine joins the gearbox - on the passenger side but quite close to the middle. On many cars you can get at them from the front, but sometimes they're at the rear of the engine - that's a crawling underneath job, I'm afraid.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

As well as the solenoid or starter failing, Xantias can have problems with the ignition switch contacts wearing out giving these problems. If it is this, the part is about £35 from GSF and it's pretty simple to fit yourself.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

"Mike P" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

As the OP says that it clicks when the starter fails to work, that would suggest that the solenoid is still engaging and that the ignition switch is therefore OK.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

A French car with dodgy electrics? You jest surely?

lol.

Reply to
Conor

Not always so. If you have a poor connection in the ign. switch, the additional load of the motor is too much and as a result the reduced voltage drops the solenoid out again. If you can get to the starter then the test is to bridge from the main battery terminal to the smaller terminal from the ign sw. If it turns the motor OK, then you have a wiring fault/high resistance connection somewhere. If it still doesn't start, then you may well have a faulty solenoid or starter. Again you can check this by bridging the two heavy terminals on the end of the solenoid. This should get the motor to turn. Be careful hitting the motor with a hammer. The magnets in many starters are glued in these days, and hitting with a hammer can break them loose. This then totally wrecks the starter.

Reply to
Brian