citroen xantia starter motor problems

Please help....I have a citroen Xantia turbo diesel, which up untill now has never had a problem.

Over the last couple of days whilst trying to start, instead of the engine turning over it just clicks.... after trying a few more times it eventually fires up. However it's taking more and more attemps each time. Can any one tell me what might be the problem? Is it the starter motor??

many thanks Charly

Reply to
littlefirefly194

Yes, almost certainly. Or to be more precise the solenoid, but this is part of the starter, not a separate item nowadays. Provided your leads are tightly connected both at the battery and the starter, there isn't much for it but a starter change.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

thanks for that Steve ('',)

Reply to
littlefirefly194

first check is that the battery is fully charged and in good order, so try a set of good jump leads from something else, if it works fine then you need to check the battery and charging, if it is exactly the same then first check all the leads for good connections and tightness (feel the joins for hot spots after trying to start it) if they are ok then it is probably the starter, but I would first hotwire the starter so as to eliminate the ign switch etc, if it is still the same then it is the starter.

So rule 1 be logical, rule 2 go for the base line (the battery) and work outwards.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Probably starter motor. A problem on Xantias is the earth strap from the battery to the engine. It's bolted onto the gearbox housing. Make sure it's tight.

John

Reply to
John