citroen xsara picasso 'arrange service'

As some of you may know, I dislike French cars, mainly because of their excess complexity and high spares prices. Anyway, I agreed to do a general service on a '52 plate xsara petrol 1.8, only because I had previously serviced the owner's Vectra. Once serviced I tried to reset the service indicator, followed the latest instructions from Autodata : press and hold the 000 button and turn on ign. Nothing happened, no countdown, no reset of the spanner symbol (which is what should happen)

When starting the car the dash displays a message "arrange service"

Does anyone know precisely what this means? Does it need some sort or CPU reset? I ran a Launch X431 scanner on it, but no faults show up.

I have asked various friends in the trade, but they haven't come across the problem and could not help.

I have given the car back to the customer, but I would like to sort this if I can, rather than have him take it to a Citroen dealer.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Slightly different flavour of same thing (googled)

With ignition off, press *and* *hold* the trip reset button. Turn on ignition and watch the service indicator count up to it's max number. Release the button. Turn ignition off. Turn ignition on again and watch the spanner symbol illuminate for 5 secs or so. Turn ignition off again.

Done :)

Reply to
Blah

If only it would, nothing at all happens. The reset button does work (as it resets the trip meter OK), but holding it in and turning on the ign does not do anything at all, no counting up or down. I wonder whether there is some ECU stored fault (not shown on non citroen equipment) which needs a reset/fix before the service counter will allow a reset.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Is it key start or push button - one of the googled threads referred to pressing the ignition button

Reply to
Blah

This one is conventional turn the key (not a fob only thing)

Reply to
Mrcheerful