Citroën Spare Wheel

My lovely Austin Metro has finally been packed off to the scrapyard and I've bought a cheap Citroën AX as a replacement. Of the many things wrong with it, the most frustrating has been the spare wheel cage. The securing bolt had been tightened up to the limit of the thread and seized in that position. After spending all day trying to shift it with the lousy wheel brace supplied, I finally bought a nice strong hacksaw blade and sawed through the cage and (eventually) the bolt. Replacing them with bits from a scrapyard. Daft design, if you ask me. If you must have the spare underneath the car, then at least give the screw that holds it a nice hexagonal head to grab hold of like Ford. Better still, stick it in the boot floor like a metro... I've smeared the new bolt with lots of grease and not tightened it anywhere near as tight as the old one. What can I do now to stop it from seizing again? Also, how do I stop the local scallies from sawing through the cage and stealing the spare?

David.

(Reluctant owner of a French car)

Reply to
David Linley

The message from "David Linley" contains these words:

Copper grease - it's exactly the sort of thing it's intended for.

Chain it up.

Reply to
Guy King

Sorry to disagree Guy, but the bolts don't sieze, metal to metal, which is what copper grease is bsically designed to prevent. They sieze due to corrosion from being sprayed with water, salt laden in winter, coupled with lack of use over a period. Copper grease gives little protection against corrosion in a hostile environment. More than no lubricant at all, but like most greases it gets washed off if frequently sprayed with water. Better protection is given by using a waterproof grease. Doesn't wash away or emulsify, even in running water. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Motorcycle chain lubricant spray. Sticks like..... er.... grease to a motorcycle chain!

Carry it in the boot?

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The message from "Mike G" contains these words:

I used to use it on LDV Convoys which had a drop-down spare wheel which was far more exposed than the one on Citroens - just behind the front wheel. Some of 'em stayed there for four or five years (check the pressures with an extension wossname) and they came down no trouble at all and still had plenty of copper grease in 'em. I've used it on cars with the same results, too.

Reply to
Guy King

Very common Citroen problem. I've had a couple seize. Once you've got it replaced make sure everything is lubricated as others have said. Secondly the thingummy that the screw screws up is basically a bent bit of mild steel so you might be able to strighten it to release the wheel (At least on Xantias, BXs, XMs and Pug 106s it is).I drove around for ages with the wheel held on the secondary catch and the cage secured by a few lengths of electrical cable passed back into the boot via the hole where the screw used to be after I treated it to Mr Angle Grinder.

Reply to
Malc

I believe you. I can't argue against your personal experience. All I can say say, is that I use a waterproof grease at work to protect bright steel mould inserts, which are cooled by a flow of water at mains pressure. Even after months of 24/7 running, when removed, the inserts show no signs of rust, and still have their coating of grease. I don't know of any conventional grease, including copper based ones, that could withstand that sort of treatment without getting emusified and washed away. Hence my suggestion. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

The message from "Mike G" contains these words:

Fair enough. Waterproof grease is splendid stuff - used in in trailer bearings one and got some on a pair of jeans - never got it off.

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks for all the advice so far. I've used copper grease. Hopefully with regular checks it won't seize again.

David.

Reply to
David Linley

If you were a boat owner you'd use a stainless steel bolt, preferably with a stainless nut too. Seawater is a major source of corrosion and stainless items are commonly used on boats. You'd have protection against the salt on the roads in winter.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

We're not interested in your sexual exploits, thank you. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

The message from "Mike G" contains these words:

Tried a really harsh scrubber, too.

Reply to
Guy King

Don't worry, they won't bother their arses sawing, its much easier just to bend the bracket at the end of the bolt out of the way.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne