Civic 2001 starting problem

This morning my Civic 1.4i had a starting problem for the first time in 9 years. It fired on initial start then died. It would not then fire. It was used on Sunday and temperature this morning was just above zero - so warmer than recently. Battery and connections in good condition, 64 miles out of full tank of petrol, starter turning engine normally. Opened bonnet and tried a few connectors but no joy. Then tried holding they key over for a l-o-n-g start (nearly 10 seconds) and it gradually fired up. Seemed like a fuel supply problem (but I do electronics not combustion stuff).

As wife was sitting in passenger seat, we had to go shopping and the next 6 starts were normal. I checked the OBD later but there were no error codes - would the good starts have been sufficient to wipe it? Google points to main relay/ECM problems but mostly in the previous model.

Any trouble-shooting suggestions for when it happens again?

Reply to
Geo

Might it have been flooded?

If it happens again, hold the accelerator down on the floor whilst cranking.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

most likely a bit of damp at first and then it flooded itself. Have a good clean of all the HT bits including the exterior of the plugs and then spray them all with wd40, it will probably be fine indefinitely.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Geo pretended :

Moisture shorting HT leads?

There has been a lot of snow, it was warmer this morning and the snow was melting making it extremely humid. Perhaps a new set of leads?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks for the suggestions - I will get to the spark plugs and check the insulators. Don't remember any visible condensation around the coils. Don't /think/ it was flooded as only used a couple of short bursts of starter between each cable/connector tweaking attempt.

Reply to
Geo