Civic air-con advice

hi

I have a 5 door 1998 Civic with 33k genuine miles. The air-con stopped working last autumn and a leak test recently confirmed the condenser needs to be replaced. I'm told the dryer also should be replaced.

As the gas has already leaked out of the system, I was thinking of changing the parts myself and then get it regassed.

My Haynes workshop manual refers to removing the NS wheel arch liner to gain access to the pinch bolt that secures the dryer cannister, so the cannister can be lifted out of the engine bay - this looks like an awful amount of work. My question, does anyone know if the dryer along with its bracket will lift out from the engine bay by just undoing the two visible bolts that secure the bracket to the engine bay?

My other question is because I've left it so long, is there a chance the oil seals on the compressor may now be damaged/deteriorated?

I'm in two minds whether to repair the aircon, or just leave it broken as it is. Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

Bill

Yes. A good chance.

Do you use the system all year around?

Reply to
DervMan

Couldnt tell you!

You do run this danger as the system will have been 'dry' for a time- not only the compressor shaft end seal but also the other o-rings in the system. It would be very wise to spend 15quid on replacing all the o-rings you can get at yourself, along with the condensor before attempting a recharge- with nitrogen and leak detector first.

Its your car!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks all for the comments so far. I made the fatal mistake of believing the aircon was working over the last few winter months when I had a need to turn it on occasionally to demist the windscreen. It's only with the milder weather we've had lately that it became apparent the aircon wasn't actually working at all. I believe the aircon was working last summer but may be a little bit below par.

Given the age of the car and my apparent oversight, I was thinking just repairing the condensor might just be money down the drain in the long run if other parts of the aircon start going wrong due to 'dry' seals etc. I'd rather put the money towards a newer car.

Bill

Ya. I use our system every week for at least one leg of my forty five minute commute. That keeps it working year in, year out...

Or a few weeks...

Apparently the air conditioning is known to be a weakness of the Civic* so replacing everything may not be too expensive, or buyers may well be expecting it to be non-functional.

*Rumoured I should point out.
Reply to
DervMan

Is it the same system as in a Rover 400 Mk II? A cowboy regassing outfit changed mine from working badly to not working at all last year and I'm worried about the expense of getting it fixed properly.

Reply to
Tony Houghton

In the cars we have owned with aircon, we leave it running all the time.

Reply to
SteveH
[Snipped Text]

The condensers on the later shape Civics (2002-2005) are prone to corrosion (from road salt). Honda have redesigned this and have extended the warranty on that component for an additional 3 years.

The earlier models (based on the Rovers), do not have any issues with the air/con.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

that is fine on a climate control system, but the average system is just on or off, and everyone is very frightened about the idea of switching on the air con in this country. One of my customers noticed water dripping from his car, I told him it was just the condensate from the air con, he said that he had NEVER turned it on ! (this was after a hot summer, so I was amazed) I found out after a quick read of the book that his model turned the air con on automatically if you select windscreen only, but DOESN'T put the air con light on, I believe he now avoids using the screen only setting, so that the air con doesn't operate, ever !!

Reply to
mrcheerful

Sorry, but what a cretin!

Reply to
DervMan

Got you! I have no idea where I heard about it... just that I did... :)

Reply to
DervMan

I would but I'm far too tight... :)

Reply to
DervMan
[Snipped Text]

There was a thread on this a while ago, before Honda had sorted a fix.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Isn't climate control just a thermostatic control that will switch the A/C or the heating on as required? Leaving the temp control high will therefore ensure that the A/c does not operate.......

John

Reply to
John

No, it (climate control) also monitors humidity, so is often on when the heater is running.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Nope. It reduces humidity and some operate to improve interior air quality too.

Switching "ECON" on will do this. When you use the air conditioning with the heater set above full cold, it first chills and dries the air, then heats it...

Reply to
DervMan

That could be it... ;)

Reply to