Clearing Vauxhall Diesel Fault Codes

Hi

Does anyone know if it's possible to clear the fault codes from a 1997 Omega

2.5TD without use of a Tech2? The car has a Bosch DDE engine management system.

I've got an "EGR Valve Out Of Range" fault code showing (obtained by bridging the terminals on the diagnostic connector), but obviously I can't tell whether it's current. Examining the valve and associated hoses, everything looks to be fine... However I'd like to be sure, as I'm told the computer shuts down the EGR functionality when that fault code is present, reducing fuel economy.

Thanks in advance (please don't reply by email, as the account isn't working!)

Karl

Reply to
Karl

There are a couple of ways of clearing the codes from the ECU -

1). Cycle the ignition on and off 20 times. This should clear any non-present fault codes. 2). Disconnect the ECU or battery. The ECU is located in the black triangular box adjacent to the battery. Disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds should have the same effect, but is unlikely to put the airbag light on. Always make sure the ignition is off and the key is out before disconnecting the ECU!!!

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

These methods don't seem to work on the vauxhall engines I've tried, but the Omega diesel is a BMW engine, so may be different.

I've found that fault codes disappear of their own accord after about a week of any fault being cured. It would be safest to do nothing in this instance.

The Dervboy

Reply to
DervBoy

driving/running the engine forget about it.

non-present fault codes.

airbag light

Thanks for the help. I've had the battery disconnected previously, and that didn't clear the code, nor did cycling the ignition. I've also had the ECU disconnected for over an hour, and that didn't clear it either. I've never seen the warning light come on during driving, so it must be an old fault.

So I guess I'll have to leave it. I'm sure I'll find out if it's having any negative effect when they do the emissions test in my upcoming MOT!

Karl