Clicking noise when using lights or wipers etc

This problem below is on a mk4 golf 1.6 8v 99.

When using headlights or wipers or indicators there is a clicking noise coming from the right hand side of the lower dash ?

Any ideas what the clicking may be ?

Reply to
Peter smith

Could be a relay or something, my car does something similar.

Reply to
Hiram

That's where the relays are If you pull the lower cover off you should be able to feel which one it is thats clicking. X power relay for the main power and accessories. Either replace the problem one or leave it.

Reply to
Tom

Ahh removal of the lower dash panel shows the relay board. Sods law the ticking has now decided it would stop. I wish I checked it was stlil doing it before I took it off lol. I've left it off as I know it will come back.

I could live with the noise, but could the louder ticking mean something has gone wrong or is worn within the relay and is about to fail ?

I'm just thinking if its not serious and not likely to fail I might just leave it alone, well for now till the ticking becomes unbearable :)

Reply to
Peter smith

Peter smith pretended :

Relays have three failure modes...

The coil burns out, there is no tick and what ever it was controlling no longer works.

The contacts burn out, it ticks, but what ever it was controlling no longer works.

The contacts weld up, you may get a quieter tick, but what ever it was controlling stays on.

Your louder tick probably is not a problem. The relay(s) may just be touching some trim which is amplifying the noise. You might try identifying which relays are making the noise by touching their cases with a finger tip, whilst operating the control which causes the noise.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield