Clio Brake Pads

Hi

I will be fitting a new set of front brake pads to my wifes 2003 Clio DCi 80 this weekend....anything special I should know about before I start?

Thanks in advance

Ade

Reply to
Adrian

Yeah, you *might* need a special 5 sided drive to loosen the calipers - at a quick glance it looks hex but it ain't...

Reply to
DocDelete

They're buggers aren't they? I was doing the brakes on the wife's 106 a couple of weeks ago and thought about removing the calipers to make driving out the securing bar a bit easier. It took me a few minutes to figure out why none of my spanners and sockets were gripping.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Yes, the question is "why?". A cynical man would say that they do this sort of thing to discourage DIY for the uninitiated. What benefits does a pent head open bolt have over a hex head? Are the mechanical benefits *that* much better on a VW 12 spline bolt over a 6 spline bolt?

I doubt engineers would have the answer, maybe one for the marketing boys.

Reply to
DocDelete

If I may be allowed to correct you

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

I suppose a 5 sided socket is less likely to slip than a hex. Consider the square headed bolts they use on the railway - you're not going to round one of those off in a hurry[1].

Reply to
Scott M

Good news

The calliper bolts were 15mm with standard (6 sided) heads......took 30 mins to do both sides in total.

Ade

Reply to
Adrian