Clio Clutch replacement

I've done a clutch replacement on an Escort and a Corsa, both pretty simple involving dropping the gearbox out through the bottom of the engine bay leaving the engine still in the car. My mate has a 1996 1.4 Clio which needs a new clutch. Does anybody know if the same technique can be employed here, or is it a case of engine/box out from above, requiring an engine hoist and (knowing my abilities) an entire weekend's work.

Ideally I'll be able to use my usual technique of supporting the box on a jack and then simply wheeling it out of the way.

Any ideas anyone?

Reply to
Wingedcat

since autodata says 6 and a half hours I would surmise it is engine out. must be more than the car is worth, Shirley?

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Done one a couple months ago, but I had the benefit of a two post ramp.

From what I remember the gearbox has to go down the way (think it sits partially under the chassis leg). Since I done it on a ramp, I supported the engine with a transmision jack, then loosened the o/s subframe bolts, and completely removed the n/s bolts allowing the subframe to hang down on one side (saves having to disconnect all the steering bits), so you can pull the gearbox back and let it sit between the subframe and chassis leg. This gives enough room to get in to change the clutch.

Might be a bit tight, but should still be doable with the car jacked up.

Reply to
M Cuthill

What does autodata say for the Corsa '98 1.7D?

Took me a whole weekend with lots of tea breaks..

Still I was happy as a sand boy when I nailed it all back together and it worked.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

It says 3.7 hours. But I have changed one far quicker than that.

You can split the engine and box so that from underneath with a bit of care and a lever or two the clutch will come out of the gap. No need to touch driveshafts or anything like that. Same for 1.25 fiestas.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Bugger :-)

Well I learned plenty that weekend.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

I wonder how many more things there are like that.

I found out by watching an AA man that you can change the thermostat on a

1.4 Astra without mortally disturbing the cambelt that is covering it up.

And the picture-only instructions that came with a random pollen filter for the same Astra meant I didn't have to do most of what the BOL said was needed to get to it.

And then there's al the other jobs where I'm sure I took apart far more than I needed to...

Reply to
PC Paul

The best one is changing a CV gaiter without even removing the wheel (often done on cavaliers)

Changing the clutch ratchet on a fiesta without removing the whole pedal box.

taking the engine out rather than the gearbox on certain cars for a clutch change.

cutting and shutting cat converters rather than replacing them. (noisy ones)

removing rear drums without disturbing the wheel bearing or wheel

Bleeding brakes without undoing the nipple.

Changing the oil without using the oil filler cap (Renaults)

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Ah, come on! Stop giving away all the trade secrets! ;-)

Reply to
Moray Cuthill