Clio dci Water in Diesel Sensor

Hi

A friend has got a Renault Clio 1.5 dci (2003) on which the glowplug light comes on whilst driving along. According to the manual it is either the glowplugs operating, water in the diesel, or electronic fault. I assume its water (since it comes on whilst driving along and it should be the easiest thing to check). I have checked the water drain off below the filter (but there are no wires there for a sensor) so does anybody know where the sensor would be?

Is there a water trap somewhere which needs emptying or is it part of the fuel tank?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Paul Edwards

Reply to
Paul Edwards

Any water which needs removing will come out of the drain at the filter. Did you get any water out of it?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Not any noticable amount.

It may well be an electronic fault but I was puzzled as to where it would actually sense that it has some water in the system. The fuel filter has no wires from it for a sensor.

It could be this is a generic description and some models have a water sensor but this one does not.

Getting more info from him it seems the lamp comes on above 70nph then goes off when he slows down. So it looks like the water theory may be wrong.

Looks like a trip to the stealers.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Edwards

Sounds most likely.

Before you parts with any cash at the dealers, give it a good service, it may just be a partially clogged filter.

Reply to
SimonJ