Clio - steering rack slight play

Just had our 1.2 Clio 1998 (newer shape model) MOT'd. It passed but observation was 'slight play in steering rack'. It's got power steering and around 40, 000 miles. Is this likely to mean a new rack coming up or are there a number of other lesser items that may remedy the problem? What is a new rack likely to cost garage fitted?

Thanks

Reply to
DSK

Doesn't the power steering valve operation create a bit of play. However, when driving it is balanced out?????

Reply to
John

play. However,

Most hydraulic systems have, in the valve chamber, a torque coupling between the input shaft from the steering column, and the output shaft carrying the rack pinion. This acts like a spring. When the engine is not running, the s/wheel can be turned a small amount either way, against the resistance of twisting the torque coupling.

It might feel like play, but it is the difference in rotational movement between the two shafts that controls the valves in the chamber and amount of power assistance. More twist, a faster flow, more assistance. The direction of twist controls which side of the rack cylinder receives oil to move the rack and pinion to a position that relieves the spring in the torque coupling.

As a failsafe, in case the torque coupling breaks, or the p/s fails for some other reason, the coupling only allows limited rotational movement before it reaches a positive stop, and the steering then becomes direct.....and very heavy. :-) A simplified explanation of how a hydraulic p/s system works, so if the experts pick holes in it, It's probably because I haven't explained it clearly enough. Or forgotten something.

To answer the OP. If the steering wheel, when turned (without any movement of the road wheels), turns back to exactly the same position as it was before. I'd say you're just feeling the spring in the torque coupling, which is as it should be.

If it doesn't return, the play is more likely to be in joints, couplings etc, in the steering system. Even the track arm ball joints, rather than in the box itself. Having said that, it is conceivable that there could be play between the rack and pinion itself. On many boxes that is adjustable, either by removing shims or readjusting a screw and locknut.

As for the cost of a new rack, and fitting one on a Clio. I have no idea. Some racks are easy to replace. I changed one on a Rover SD1 in just over an hour, excluding retracking. Others need a lot of stripping just to get at them. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G