clutch judder

I had recently the overhauled as the clutch felt sharp, i.e. operating over a small range. The garage fitted a new 'clutch kit' to my car. However, the clutch now judder, it feels like it will shake the drive train apart if i am not very careful on the pedal. What is the problem?

The car soon needs MOT and I worry that the tester could damage the car.

Reply to
johannes

the flywheel needs skimming

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Engine mountings loose?

Reply to
John

Could be. The car has also developed a rough noise at 60mph but improves at

70mph.

What is the cure/risk if it's the engine mountings?

Reply to
johannes

does it have a dmf?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Have they skimmed the flywheel? they get hot spots (blue marks) these should be removed.

If thats been done then there might be dirt under the flywheel/crank when its been reassembled. All surfaces should be cleaned prior to re assembly F/W, crank, engine block, gearbox.

You most likely won't know, but when tightening down the pressure plate, was the diaphragm spring flat (no fingers out of alignment) where the thrust bearing engages. This is a good indication of quality control of the pressure plate and assembly. The clutch does not work evenly.

Reply to
Rob

Could be the clutch is not correctly lined up , flywheel needs skimming .

Reply to
steve robinson

It has a rubber damper on top of the engine block if that is what you mean. The problem is worst when starting in the morning. It is fairly ok as long as I drive it myself, as I'm careful when releasing the foot from the clutch.

Reply to
johannes

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Ahh ok. Car is Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 LPT

Reply to
johannes

johannes said the following on 28/02/2010 17:16:

No DMF (dual mass flywheel).

(I hope I am right).

Charles

Reply to
Charles C

I once experienced a Saab with an engine that almost jumped through the bonnet due to a broken engine mount.

Reply to
John

johannes said the following on 27/02/2010 22:24:

Forget the MOT as I don't see what it has got to do with it ... if the tester damages you may too damage it anyway.

You have a new clutch and an old flywheel. You have been given a number of answers relating to the clutch ... high spots, blue spots (heated), glossy. All can be true and probably will be true. The minimum the garage should have done is run some emery paper on the flywheel to take some of the glossiness off.

Whatever, you must give it a chance to bed in. Drive it normal ... and do not ride the clutch so you do not gloss the new clutch plate too.

---------------------------------------

If it is engine mounts, ehmm well, and it just appeared ... the garage may have something to do with it as the gearbox has to be dropped for a clutch change. Unlikely to be able to prove it as their fault so be "nice to them" ;-) I do not believe it is engine mountings.

If it helps a little Charles

Reply to
Charles C

Have you told the garage about the problem? I'm assuming it went in without judder and came out with judder, ie they induced it. I would have gone straight back in and told them.

The most common causes of judder are engine mountings and oil on the friction surfaces of the flywheel and pressure plate. They would have to be pretty careless to introduce enough oil to cause this during a clutch change, so the most likely scenario is that one or more engine mountings are loose/damaged/incorrectly fitted.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

it could also be that the clutch was badly fitted, eg letting the gearbox hang on its shaft while fitting can ruin the clutch plate.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Once drove a pool car at old work which broke a mounting as I was accelerating down a slip lane - it made a nice protruding dent in the bonnet! (Audi)

Reply to
cupra