Code reader for Volvo

I've got a cheap OBDII code reader (Autel) which has so far done most of the things I need. Out of curiosity, I tried to connect it to the missus' 2014 Volvo V40. It powered up, but didn't make the data connection. Do they need something special, or just something newer. I've no problem buying another reader, but I'd be a bit miffed if even a new generic one didn't connect.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

I think likely a newer one. Vehicles purchased in the US from 2008 on are required to use the CAN protocol (ISO15765-4). Many older scanners did not provide that option.

Reply to
Jim

Which is lovely, an' all. But he's not talking about a vehicle sold in the US.

Anyway, he's asking about OBD, not CAN - and E-OBD has been a requirement in the EU for more than a decade. CAN is multiplexing. OBD is diagnostics. They're completely different.

Reply to
Adrian