Code reader recommendations

I'm after a cheap(ish) DIY code reader that'll suit a Diesel 2005 Astra, I'm sure it's an OBD-11 jobby and I've found the socket between the handbrake and gearlever.

I'm really just looking for something that'll do the reading and re-set function but doesn't cost the earth, I appreciate that it'll have shortcomings compared to professional gear costing £ks. Anyone got any kit that they recommend?

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Right, I got a neat little code reader of the e-bay and read the faults: P100 MAF or VAF (this has now cleared OK)

P110 IAT sensor circuit. (this comes back as soon as I clear it)

I've checked the ''freeze frame'' and the IAT sits at 130 degrees C. Clearly the sensor (or wiring) is either open circuit or shorted.

Question 1, is the IAT sensor situated within the MAF meter? I can't see anything else obvious.

Question 2, can anything be done to fix it or am I best off buying a new one?

Vehicle is an 05 1.7 Diesel Astra.

Cheers Julian.

Reply to
Julian

it is in the maf sensor, terminals 1 and 3 are the iat, a resistance reading across the two should give you at 20 deg c between 2300 and 2700 ohms, higher temp lower resistance, at todays temperatures a higher resistance. If you have open circuit then you could bridge the two terminals with a suitable resistor and see what happens.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks, it is in the MAF sensor as you say, it's a little (I guess) NTC resistor that looks like it'd cost about 30p from Maplins!

Anyway, real time data from my code reader, plug connected to maf sensor =

130 degrees C, plug pulled off -29 degrees C. It must have failed short circuit. I've cleaned it (cos I couldn't think of anything else!) and I've now got a clean, but duff sensor :-)

Off to the factors on Monday, seemingly a genuine Bosch one is about £60 - does that sound reasonable?

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

sounds about average