Coil ballast resistor

I've just obtained a new coil for my 1955 Merc 220a, but it says on it that the resistance of the ballast resistor that is to be used with it is to be 0.9 ohms, whereas my old one said 1.8 ohms. How relevant is this difference?

Reply to
cryptogram

That will give you a very slightly lower voltage HT side when running. No practical difference in use IMO

Reply to
Mrcheerful

that the resistance of the ballast resistor that is to be used with it is t o be 0.9 ohms, whereas my old one said 1.8 ohms. How relevant is this diffe rence?

Thanks. Having done some surfing on this topic with particular reference to my car I note that there is a range of resistors available, depending on w here the car was marketed. Weird that. Why should the country of origin dic tate the size of this resistor? I would expect the electrical effect to be the sole arbiter of this.

Reply to
cryptogram

probably down to local ambient temperature, battery voltage is significantly down in colder climates.

Reply to
Mrcheerful