condensation in headlamp (citroen c3)

Hi,

I have an old-style Citroen c3 and the headlamps have blown a couple of times over the years. I guess during replacement I must have chewed up the rubber seal, allowing some moisture to get in. I now have a film of condensation on the lens and I am worried this might affect the beam and I am due an MOT very soon.

I've spoken to Citroen dealers and they say I cannot get a new seal; I have to buy a new headlamp for £125+vat. Any ideas where I can get a seal from, other than a scrap yard (I'm already looking into that option).

To make matters worse, it's the side where access is severely limited by the battery. So I am unable to get a hair dryer to blow warm air into it in situ. I can't see that the Haynes book mentions how to remove the whole unit but I imagine it is a PITA job involving removing the bumper.

Any ideas how I can remove the condensation. Someone said to blow air down a pipe but what sort of pipe and what would it be connected to? I don't want to melt the pipe or the hairdryer!

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Stephen

leave the headlamps on main beam (with engine running), just before the mot as the heat from the bulb will clear it, but short term only as it will return

Reply to
reg

Thanks. This is what I did and it passed the MOT. Now to find a permanent cure...

Thanks

Reply to
Stephen

Drive around all the time with headlights on :)

Seriously though, I had the same an hour before the MOT - it was not there a week before when I did a quick inspection, so assume that it was the result of the car wash that we used the night before. It's not happened since either, so perhaps direct spray from a car wash could have caused this for you too?

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
marpate1