condensation in the headlight

I keep getting condensation in my offside front headlight. I guess there must be a crack in the glass somewhere. Can anyone suggest a solution that doesn't involve a new one?

On another point. I bought some new windscreen wiper blades for my car

- on the box it indicted they were the correct ones, but by the time I got them home I found they were shorter than the ones that came off. Its not a great problem - but I am curious, is it an offence to have incorrect wiper blades fitted?

TIA

Reply to
Hiram

Well if you can find the crack you can seal it up with windscreen sealant. What's the car?

Reply to
Duncan Wood
[...]

Not AFAIK. In fact, it's been suggested here that if you have windscreen damage that would invoke an MOT fail that is just inside the swept area, you fit smaller blades!

Do you know the ones you are removing are correct? I have certainly fitted longer blades than standard to cars in the past.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I will try that - I'm going to have to dry the inside. Any idea the best way to dry the moisture out?

Reply to
Hiram

If it splits apart then a bit of /silica/ gel, if not you can cook it on a low heat in the oven/airing cupboard/hostess trolley, or spend ages messing about with a hair dryer.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Nope, not sure if the old one were the right ones or not. I think they may be as they seem to fit the windscreen better. I've kept the old ones in the boot even though the rubber has gone hard.

I bought the new ones in Wilkinson's for 1.40...

Reply to
Hiram

the hair dryer can be a problem, I broke the glass after I pointed the hairdryer in the bulb hole of an escort. drilling a couple of ventilation holes top and bottom can work wonders. As long as sufficient screen is wiped for ample visibility then slightly shorter wipers are ok

Reply to
Mrcheerful

What sort of size would you recommend?

Reply to
Hiram

about 4mm, that should let air in and keep spiders out

Reply to
Mrcheerful

However, why will one side sometimes mist up but not the other?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Because one has a hole in it.

Reply to
BGN

Be easier to seal that hole than make new ones then?

But they all have some means of ventilation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You would think so, but practice can be different to theory.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Ok - can only speak for the ones I've looked at.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And any ventilation holes will also lead to dust building up inside the headlight over time, just like the inside of a helmet visor.

Reply to
Chris Dugan

I've been driving with the headlights on which seems to have helped clear most of it - but its not a real solution.

Reply to
Hiram

I have some of those. A bit too smeary IMO, especially in light rain. YMMV of course.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Any idea the best

A length of stiff wire with about 1cm bent back on itself on one end to hold a piece of tissue paper. Bend the wire into into a curve so that it goes around the bulb shade, then just work the tissue paper around the inner surface of the glass. Seeing where the moisture is getting in can be tricky at best. If the reflector is metal, it's probably best drilled using a Dremel or the like.

Reply to
Stephen Chalmers