Considering better car

Have currently got Y-reg (2001) Ford Fiesta Ghia, 1.6l 16v, on 65,000 miles, have just comprehensively scratched the driver's door due to an unfortunate incident involving gale force winds, fence panels and paving slabs. Looking for something a bit newer...

The new Fiestas don't look too nice, but I could be convinced if there're any higher-end models as I have a commute to work where the

1.6 is a huge advantage where it's possible to overtake, and nothing sluggish will do. Probably doing under 20,000 miles a year though, and need nothing too huge.

I also appear to be paying less than £300 for the insurance at the moment, so that will need a bit of consideration.

Looking for something FUN to drive as well. Any ideas? Cheap maintenance would also be an advantage. Needn't be a Ford, as the current car has one or two problems I could do without.

Reply to
Mr Guest

Yes, how do you square the circle? I wouldn't mind a small car as my saab is getting old. I rented a (grande) punto for a week, but what a difference to get back in the saab. The saab 'glides' whereas the punto bumps along, requiring constant driver input. I don't know if there is a small car I could live with, but am open to suggestions.

Reply to
johannes

ford focus

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Seconded!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

TDCi.

Or even the new Fiesta with the 1.6 PSA diesel in it (chips nicely to ~120bhp and then really flies)

I would suggest a Fiat Punto 1.9 jtd sporting (fantastic offers available on these new) but I would like to guess how (un)relaible it will be after about year 3...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Tim.. wrote (apparently) in uk.rec.cars.maintenance on Wed 06 Feb

2008 09:31:05:

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Ironically I live 20 metres away from the local Fiat dealership, but that isn't necessarily good as going there regularly is not the intention...

Thought the Focus might be in the running, will have to have a look on Parkers and see what's what (and get up to the Ford dealers as well).

Cheers

Reply to
Mr Guest

go and drive one is the best bet, they sell themselves to someone that wants a good handling and quick car, without complications.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Mrcheerful wrote (apparently) in uk.rec.cars.maintenance on Wed 06 Feb 2008 21:42:50:

Thanks, that's my plan now. I need to decide whether it's worth having the door on the old car fixed or if I can sell it privately for a reasonable amount anyway.

Reply to
Mr Guest