Corsa 1.2L periodic engine rattle/scrape

Got a Corsa here (1.2L N-reg, 89K, regular services all its life) which seems to have developed a strange periodic noise from the engine.

At idle it sounds like a cross between a metallic scraping and a rattle which comes on every 5-10 seconds, then fades out again, lasting for maybe a second (i.e. not a noise happening directly at engine speed). If I rev the engine to say twice idle speed the noise is still there, and seems to occur slightly more frequently - but nothing like twice as much as at idle.

It *seems* like it's coming from the cambelt end of the engine - I wondered about the alternator being on its way out, but I just checked that by taking the drive belt off and the noise is still there.

Tomorrow I'll try taking the cam belt cover off I think (assuming it can be done without removing the alternator drive pulley from the crank) and see if that makes it any easier to pinpoint.

Sound at all familiar to anyone, though? It seems weird to me that it's such a relatively infrequent noise compared to engine speed.

I've checked the really obvious - signs of any vibrating pipes catching when they shouldn't be, exhaust manifold cover plate not loose, coolant / oil OK etc. Cam belt is still well within the expected lifetime (but I'm not sure if things like water pump etc. have ever been done)

Any theories? I'm reluctant to do any serious tearing apart of the engine, but it'd be nice to get to the bottom of what's causing it (and whether it's something serious/terminal or not! :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

cam belt tensioner or water pump

Reply to
MrCheerful

Indeed - think you're right. I pulled the cam belt cover and did the old 'listen via a big screwdriver' trick; the water pump does sound very noisy (although the belt tensioner is so close by that it's possible that's still the culprit).

That's a relief anyway as it should be possible to sort it with relatively little time / effort.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

i have same car also had same kind of noise i tracked mine down to the bearings gone in alternator (if it was same noise)

Reply to
mikepine