Corsa auto

Had to hire a small runaround for my wife, took the Corsa with automatic transmission (it's a sort of semi-auto unit). Anyway it's bloody awful to drive, has to be the worst auto box I've ever used, it feels like a manual driven by a novice i.e. the gearchanges are VERY noticable. Is this normal for this car? If so I think Vauxhall need to get it sorted!

Reply to
Robbie Mayhem

As you say it's not really an auto transmission of course. I've driven a Corsa with a real auto box and they are fine. The one you had will be the 'easytronic' assisted manual box, which isn't an auto at all but just a manual gearbox which has motors to change the gears and work the clutch.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Apart from it being a corsa of course.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

That'll be the Easytronic then... First incarnation was about 1998 and they were truly awful then!

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

I have a pet theory that there is nothing wrong with these types of assisted boxes, just that driver perception of what they are expected to do.

When you change gear in a manual 'box you don't expect the power to come in until you lift the clutch - not when you disengage the first gear. Then you adjust the revs before / as you are letting up the clutch. Flicking the switch and expecting the power to come in immediately is where things are going wrong. That is the equivalent of revving the engine and crashing into your new gear. No wonder it feels like a new learner driving ...

Leave the time you would to change gear smoothly and then adjust the revs accordingly and things will go a lot better

Reply to
Mark W

If it changes gear and works the clutch all by itself, how come you think it's not an auto?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes but they have a full auto mode where you don't even have to touch the gear change and it's this "auto" mode I'm referring to, it's just not very smooth at all. To be honest if I was in the market to buy an auto car then the Corsa would be last on my list. I don't really see where they hope to fit in! They're neither manual nor auto and to me they don't appeal to either type of driver. That's just me though.

Reply to
Robbie Mayhem

It's not a proper automatic gearbox in what you'd expect in an auto. It's basically a standard manual F10 box with electronic shit strapped to the linkage box on the top.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

To be honest though, if you want to adjust the way you drive to suit the gearchanges then why not just buy the manual box? A conventional torque converter/epicyclic auto or a CVT will change gear reasonably without any care by the driver.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Take it you don't like it ;-)?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Still an auto though - just not a very good one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But it wouldn't be on your list at all as it's NOT an automatic transmission. AFAIK they do still make Corsas with real auto boxes.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

It's not an auto as most people would understand it. They compare it to a conventional auto and declare that it's s**te. When the comparison is not a fair one.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

If it's an auto as far as a driving licence is concerned that would be the definition for most. An epicyclic gearbox doesn't guarantee smooth changes as those who have driven an old Mini will witness. ;-)

Autos using servo operated synchromesh boxes and dry clutches are an answer to the power loss of a conventional auto especially on small cars. And more sophisticated versions can work pretty well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you've ever had the misfortune of driving a sprinter van with an ESM box, you'll soon be agreeing that the corsa is very smooth in comparison!

Reply to
moray

Marginally smooth when new, bloody neck snapping after afew miles!

The Transit version is hugely superior, strangely...!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Hmmm, neck snapping is one way of putting it! We've got the joy of maintaining a fleet of the damn things. It still fascinates us why a transport manager would spec such a thing, because it's not as though they increase reliability.

Strangely, the only Transit I've seen with it, was on the original training course I done before they had even been released. Never seen one since.

Reply to
moray

They are clearly not as smooth as a "proper" torque converter auto. But this type of box is much cheaper to produce (oncost for buyer is about =A3300 instead of =A31000) and significantly more economical, and for some people that's enough compensation for the "unpleasant" driving experience.

My wife has a Fiesta with Ford's equivalent and to me it is an acceptable drive, though I believe the Ford box is optimised for smoothness (inasmuch as this type of box ever can be!) while the Corsa's is optimised for economy.

Tony

Reply to
www.fuelsaving.info

Ever driven a micra auto? Bloody aweful too - the lags in the box are accentuated by the lack of power, you can be cruising along and jumping too and fro between gears - just aweful.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Autos using epicyclics, torque convertors and lock up mechanisms can be very efficient too.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp