Corsa Clutch Change - Sideways shortcut?

Hi, I want to change the clutch on my 1.2 Merit 1994 Corsa.

As part of the gearbox removal process, the Haynes manual says that the exhaust pipe must be released from the exhaust manifold and the engine lowered slightly before the gearbox can be removed, by dropping it down underneath the engine bay.

Has anyone here tried removing the gearbox sideways instead, after taking off the nearside plastic inner wing, wishbones, hub, wheel etc? This would avoid having to jack up the car so high, and might also make it a bit easier to put back together again afterwards.

Surely Mr Clutch etc wouldn't mess about dropping the engine would they?

Also if anyone has any additional tips for this job (like is it really necessary to have an "Assistant"?), I'd be keen to hear them.

TIA

Reply to
Winged Cat

I'm prepared to be shot down, but removing the inner wing, wishbones, hub etc sounds more troublesome that lowering the engine slightly - even from the point-of-view of just bolt/nut count. Imagine all those rusty / siezed suspension components - then things like tracking and whatnot would need to be recalibrated.

The likes of Mr Clutch won't be bothered about jacking the car up - they'll use hydraulic lifts won't they. Certainly, the auto transmission place across from my work always stand full height under the cars they're working on, and use large stands to take the weight of the removed gearbox etc.

Reply to
DocDelete

Agreed. Most places have dedicated engine/transmission jacks for droppign and raising engines in and out of bays from underneath.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo