corsa exhaust

evenin'

my 99 corsa sounds like an elephant farting through a bassoon, anyone any ideas of the likely costs to repair / replace the exhaust? Not entirely sure which bit mind, so a range of prices would be great. Typically, its the month before my insurance, MOT, and tax are due. V poor...

Also, don't know if you remember the annoying problems I was having with it lurching, but could this be anything to do with the exhaust? Basically, it tended to stop accelerating completey for half a second or so, and on occasion lurches along rather embarassingly...

It was suggested previously were it might have been an aspiration problem causesd by the hot weather (was a while back now). Though I'm guessing that its not the case now we're in January... Ideas?

Cheers all

Barry

Reply to
barry

I was experiencing the same problem with my MK3 Golf, hesitation juddering under load and well just playing the hell up. After changing the spark plugs and HT leads all is good and it runs like a dream. WRT the exhaust it could be a number of things, but my money is on the back box (if a wee car like this has such a thing.....)

Reply to
Dr Gonzo

I did the back box myself on my corsa a few months back....cost £21

Obviously the mid pipe didn't like being assaulted with a lump hammer and started farting the week after...

Two weeks ago the local garage replaced the mid pipe Cost £22 for pipe... Tenner to be fitted.

All very reasonable IMHO

the previous owner had Quack Shat do the same sections for over a hundred quid.... or so the invoice says

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Yeah, but it doesn't always do it. Which is the infuriating thing. It only seems to do it if it's been idling for some time, like after I'm pulling away at lights.

Seems to be getting worse though as the exhaust gets worse. Though could be a coincidence of course...

Reply to
barry

hm I was just looking at them! might give em a miss if they want £100 odd for it. Could give em a call I guess and get a quote or something...

I wouldn't know where to begin doing it myself, plus my tool collection consists of two similar sized screw drivers which probalby isnt much good.

Reply to
barry

How old is the air filter? Oh yeah, also what brand is it?

Reply to
dave F

changed in october at its service, not sure of the brand, but it was doing this before the change too....

Reply to
barry

actually, the engine management light came on a few days ago. Car was cold (driven about 50 yards). Light came on, didnt notice anythign wrong really. Was slowing for lights at the time, put the clutch down and the light went off. Though guess that could be co-incidence. Any way of reading the code? Will the paper-clip trick work?

Reply to
barry

My gfs corsa had the same problem while using a Halfords own brand air filter so I popped the old one back in and the engine was running back to its old self. Then last week I fitted a Vauxhall GM air filter (same as the old one) and thankfully no problems. So even though the Halfords one was the correct design it was starving the engine.

Reply to
dave F

well might give that a try, though it was doing it before the filter was changed.

Reply to
barry