corsa gears grinding

Hi, i have a corsa p reg 1996 diesel and am having a real problem with my gears, when i put it in reverse it grinds like mad (everytime) its a real struggle to get it into 1st and 2nd gear, especially 2nd where i have to use both hands at times.

Does this mean i would need a new gear box, and if so how much would that roughly cost?

Reply to
colindiffer

It sounds as though your clutch is the problem, not the gearbox. If the clutch does not release properly when you press the pedal the gears will not come to rest and will be tending to turn when you try to engage a gear, resulting in a crash with reverse and a general difficulty with forward gears (which have a synchromesh device to try to get the gears to rotate at the right speeds to ensure a quiet engagement).

Either you need to adjust the pedal (is there a cable, or what?) or part of the clutch itself may be worn (probably the release bearing, this being the bit which prevents the clutch fully releasing).

You ought to sort this before you screw up the synchromeshes in the gearbox by making them do excessive work.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Clutch probably needs adjusting.

Reply to
Conor

sounds like clutch drag wots the mileage? if its quite high then adjusting it(if this can be done) may be a waste of time only fix is a new cltch assy

Reply to
ford_technical_

The first and second gear problem may be: Corsas have a problem with the gear linkage, it wears out, the fix is a new linkage assy, it is about 50 quid for the assembly plus fitting.

Grinding into reverse is often excessively high idle speed or a dragging clutch.

So you may well have two or more faults.

Probably though your gearbox itself is ok.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

REALLY...So cheap? Which parts + Where from and are the replacements any good?... Mine is okay but it vibrates and annoys that **** out of me, I've calmed it down by adding a spring to the linkage which stops it wobbling around so much.

Reply to
Tom Burton

It is the lump that goes at the back of the gearbox and connects the rod from the gear lever to the top of the box. The old type has bushes that are in the wrong alignment to take the side forces, if you get an assistant to wobble the gear lever left and right you can see the play. The new lump has better joints at a different angle. There are pattern ones available, but the genuine bit is not dear and is well made and easy to fit, just ask any Vauxhall dealer.

I am not certain which years this applies to , but the last one I did was y reg and very low mileage.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

replying to colindiffer, Spiro Gears, Pirangut (Pune) wrote: Suitable process for LH and RH helical gears. Module 0.5 to 3.0, Gear max. dia is @ 350.00 mm./ 400.00 mm

Reply to
Spiro Gears, Pirangut (Pune)

Between 2005 and now, it might have been sorted one way or another.

Reply to
Davey