Corsa hard to get into second gear

I have a 2001 1.0 litre Corsa and recently it has been hard to get into second gear. No problems with other gears, and ususally OK changing up from first to second. But changing down from third to second there is ususally (not always) a lot of resistance and you have to really push hard to get it in gear. It seems to be a little easier if you push hard left at the same time as trying to get it in gear. It's out of warranty so I want to sort it myself. Is it likely to be a linkage or box internal problem? Any suggestions as to the solution would be most welcome!

Reply to
David Martin

The message from dpm snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (David Martin) contains these words:

Quite possibly the synchromesh shagged. Try double de-clutching.

Reply to
Guy King

Check the gearbox oil level - might be a tad low.

Reply to
Taz

though I've replaced a few gear linkages on corsas

Reply to
George Spigot

can i be a bit blonde and ask what double de clutching means?

sorry if its obvious

Reply to
Steph

Clutch cable needs adjusting?

Reply to
R. Murphy

Hydraulic clutch on Corsa-Cs

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Mine rattles and shakes like hell...

Any idea on cost?

I had a similar problem when my clutch was maladjusted and thus dragging

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Won't that, then. Maybe needs hydraulic system bleeding/fluid replacing?

Reply to
R. Murphy

Well, many thanks for all the suggestions and discussion.

I have found that if I lift the reverse gear ring on the gearstick so that the stick will move a little further to the left then 2nd gear always engages easily. So I think the problem must be with the gear linkage, not the gearbox. Can anyone tell me if this can be adjusted or how else to fix it?

Reply to
David Martin

Sounds like your gear stick arrangement has a detente for reverse gear. This is a plate bolted to the floor where the stick goes through to the gearbox to prevent selection of reverse by mistake. Lifting the ring clears this piece of metal. On a Volvo this is adjustable, so maybe it is on yours

Reply to
Taz

I have exactly the same problem ( 2001 Corsa 1.0, 44000miles, just out of warranty). The vauxhall main dealer where I bought the car said that there was an oil leakage from the gear box. They fixed that but still the same problem. They then said it was a problem with the gear linkage and would cost about £250 (£92 per hour labour charge). Haven't had it done yet - still living with the problem. Any more info on your problem?

Reply to
Pete