corsa lack of power

Hello, A few times I've noticed this now, I assumed I was doing something weird the first few times or imagining it, but it's definate now... Anyway, my 99 corsa 1.2 16v (zoom.....) occasionally has a loss of power at about 2k-3k rpm in first gear. It accelerates, 'hangs' for a second with no rpm increase, then carries on as normal, the rest of the gear changes are fine. Has only happened three times so far, under heavy acceleration from some lights, it only does it from 'luke-warm' eg after a few miles. Doesnt do it straight from the drive way and doesnt do it after many miles. There seesm to be no definate pattern... I've even tried to do it deliberately to reproduce it so as to get some more info, no joy so far.

Seems like it cant be arsed to inject anymore fuel for a second then goes "oops" and carries on. Anyway, not life threatening, just curious and if its something I could easily fix with a hbol as its a bit annoying when it does happen...

cheeeeeers Barry

Reply to
Barry

In a nutshell, a 1.2 Corsa isn't made for heavy acceleration.

Reply to
dp

and you shouldn't be accelerating hard from cold or "luke warm" I love boy racers, they know how to kill a car.

Reply to
Scott Mills

The message from "Scott Mills" contains these words:

Frankly, it's the best thing you can do to a Corsa. I had loads of the things and they were all foul.

Reply to
Guy King

When I say heavy I mean reasonable. I don't stamp the pedal to the floor, I was accelerating 'quickly' comparative to normal and it gave the symptoms I described. I'd driven about 5 miles since starting, not sure how you - in you apprarant infinite wisdom - would term that. Hence the 'luke warm' Also, what gives you the impression I'm a boy racer ? Because I used the words "accelerate" and "corsa" together?

If no-one has anything constructive to say, then please don't bother saying anything at all as it wastes both my time and yours

Thanks

Reply to
Barry

If it runs on ECUs ie computer driven, try disconnecting the battery for a while before you drive it again. This is just heresay, but I've heard that this resets the Ecu to factory defaults on most cars, so it has to relearn how the engine is used. I'm about to try this on my Volvo '91 vintage, but I keep forgetting to do it !!!! Sort of like clearing the cmos on a 'puter, except you don't have to re-enter params yourself.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Before you do this (and yes it does work) make sure you have your radio code.

Dave :-)

Reply to
Rebelrouser

Thanks, that had crossed my mind, however this has happened three times so far since about feb, so its not exaclty often not does it fit any pattern that I can determine. I'd just like to nip it in the bud so to speak. It'd only done 21k when I got it, but has fsh, including stupid stuff like "washer fluid £1.00" so could it be due to the presumed shopping run trip and needs ye olde italian tune-up? Also, is disconnecting the battery likely to do anything bad regarding immobiliser? Removed original tape (?!?!) player that's not an issue.

Willing to try it though so long as nothing is going to go worse...

Cheers for an actual relevant reply!

Reply to
Barry

Aye, changed it out anyway as it had one of those magnetic things. Tapes? wtf were they doing in a '99? Who actually uses tapes, except to copy the CDs that they own so that they can use them in a car that doesnt have a cd player?

Cheers

Reply to
Barry

The message from "Barry" contains these words:

Audio Books from the library are still universally (at least in our libraries) on tape. I really CBA to copy them to CD just to keep me happy during a long drive.

Can't stand driving to music 'cos of the irritating DJs and adverts, Radio4 is great but after three or four hours I end up shouting at the reporters for not asking the right questions. Also, if you're listening to a radio play and have to concentrate on driving [1] for a few minutes you lose the thread and can't rewind. Tapes - you can go back and listen to the bit that happened while you were negotiation Spaghetti Junction.

Audio Books are an excellent compromise. If you've got kids in the car it's a nice way to share a story with them or even tempt them with something they wouldn't have previously considered, like Hitch Hikers' Guide or Gerald Durrell.

[1] You /know/ I don't mean I spend the rest of the time in a trance!
Reply to
Guy King

The sarcasm may have cost you a decent response. :(

But see my other post. :)

It's only a waste of time if you reply, heh.

Reply to
DervMan

If it weren't for the fact that it didn't do it after a long run, it could be hot air accumulating in the air intake system.

Unless after a long drive, you pretty much go straight home?

Have you taken it to Vauxhall yet?

Reply to
DervMan

Clutch slipping?

Reply to
dave F

Hello,

You need to make sure you're wearing a shell suit and a cap otherwise the engine will not respond. Also switch off the air conditioning, stereo and giant front foglights. See your Vauxhall dealer if you need to know which switch prevents them being permanently on during daylight hours. This will speed up the car considerably, you might keep up with say a shopping trolley or childrens scooter. You wouldn't stand a chance of keeping up to a pensioner running for a bus if they thought they could get on it at 9-29am using a pass! Then get yourself off to

and posta nice picture of yourself. There is even a site named after you!

Reply to
AM200

The computer technology is rubbish....the 1.7TDi is well know for flat-spots too. Mine has got its hat and coat on and I've ordered the Skoda Fabia vRS 1.9 TDi. The "Fabia" is better *everything* !! It's also nearly £1000. cheaper than the new Corsa 1.7TDi.... the Corsa is a serious joke.

Colin.

Reply to
Colin

You're doing yourself and the image no favours...

Reply to
DervMan

I'm just getting a little wound up. Thanks for your help though. It just aggrevates me that because I have a corsa everyone appears to have assumed I'm a boy racer. All I'm looking for is some help with my car, and I'm very appreciative of any help offered. However I dont have time for people who have decided to sterotype me based on what car I drive

Cheers

Reply to
Barry

That doesnt explain why it doesn't do it all the time though. If it were a flat spot surely it would always be there? Also, it's not low power, it has none and doesnt accelerate at all for about a second. Confusing :(

Cheers

Reply to
Barry

Does the problem occur mostly when you are pulling away upwards on a slope? Sounds to me if the problem could be the clutch slipping.

Reply to
dave F

I understand the feeling, but one just has to rise above it, heh!

Reply to
DervMan