Corsa Sxi 02 1.2L Clutch problems ?

My son's Corsa SXi 1.2L 02 Reg, 65k is possibly having some clutch problems. The symptoms are

1st gear very hard to select ? Car struggling to pull away when loaded with 4 adults ? (but it is only 1.2 so maybe that's to be expected !) Overheating smell when driving with full load ? These are my son's descriptions, I haven't driven it myself yet. Are there any tests we can try to diagnose the problem ?

Thanks Tony

Reply to
Tonyb

In what way does it struggle? Is the clutch slipping or is the engine simply overloaded? You say it's only 1.2 so is to be expected, but how is that relevant to a clutch problem?

All the time while driving like this or just when taking off? Overheating smell meaning clutch burning, or boiling water or what?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

corsa suffers from a dodgy mechanism in the gear linkage. you can buy a new assembly from vauxhall or most car shops (about 35 quid.) it is easy to change, the first symptom of it being worn out is that it is difficult to get first. they can wear out in less than 30k miles.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

FYI, it was the gear linkage which meant that when you select 1st it was actually selecting 3rd ! Tony

Reply to
Tonyb

I wish all the questions were that easy and I got the right answer first time!!

Reply to
Mrcheerful