Cosra C, erratic petrol gauge sender?

Just a quick q.

Daughters 2001 1.2 16V Corsa may have an erratic fuel gauge so I wonder if the panel has any experience of such things before I start investigating further.

A while back and after arriving at work she parked up and there was no sign of the 'low fuel light'. When she went to leave that evening, the light was flashing. Not sure if she had been siphoned or fuel had leaked (there was a slight leak on the fuel filter / hose for a while), her b/f took some fuel to her ('just in case' as some of the journey home was on a tricky single lane road) and when they put some fuel in at the petrol station it didn't seem to be that low.

This morning she dropped it off for me to take to the MOT station (it passed) and mentioned that the light had come on again (flashing) but with no just 'on' stage?

Googling about it seems this is fairly common and I've seen suggestions to it being linked to recently having the battery disconnected or other things that might not normally be consider to be related (like just a faulty fuel level sender).

I've also seen mention of after seeing the warning light flashing to turn the ignition off and on again and the gauge then reading higher (and no flashing light etc). Ok, I see how the angle of the vehicle could make a difference but the suggestion is that it isn't always a factor.

I've suggested she only lets it get down to 1/4 from now on. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

See, I can spell 'Corsa', might need new glasses though. ;-( .

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m