Cost of a road sign (see image)

What would be the approximate price of a road sign bought privately?

I am thinking of something like this which is on a pole about 4 foot high and contains 4-inch black lettering on a non-reflective white background

Doo-dah

£185.
Reply to
Palindrome

£25.60 + VAT

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Will that be for one that's less shy than the one in the pic, though?

Reply to
Adrian

In message , Doo-dah writes

AFAIK road signs tend to be done by a department of the local council - it's usually a couple of guys in a shed with a pile of sheet metal, a few templates and a spray gun. Easiest way might be to ring them up and see if they can either do something for you or at least point you in the right direction.

Reply to
leo

About £30-£40 for the sign, £4 for the fixings and £15-£20 for the post.

Reply to
Richard Polhill

The message from "Doo-dah" contains these words:

Find where you local council's sign department is (there's often a phone number on the back) and knock on the door and offer cash.

Reply to
Guy King

£1 3s 6d
Reply to
Obscure Person

The message from leo contains these words:

You'll not find any that are painted. They're all done with self-adhesive "ballatini" plastic, which is the retroreflective stuff with the tiny glass beads in it. They're cut out on a vinyl cutter like the wide-boys use for odd squiggles on their Novas and stuck on.

Reply to
Guy King

You don't want one like that. It's facing the wrong way for a start.

Reply to
Mark W

On Ally? Hardly likely.

Reply to
Conor

Missus agrees.

Reply to
Conor

It's Polish. They do everything cheaper.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Did we get overcharged, then? That is what the council charged us for replacing a similar sign that one of our drivers "bent".

Reply to
Palindrome

You're paying "Insurance Claim Rates".

Reply to
Conor

The message from Palindrome contains these words:

I would imagine they charged an hour's labour to install it, too.

Reply to
Guy King

If you want to put it up in a public place (maintained by the council), I think the council have to put up the sign.

I was at a home watch meeting when they were talking about putting up signs. Something about the council enforce this to reduce any legal risk of a sign causing injury or damage and being sued.

Not sure if it's law, but you may want to look into it.

Regards,

Tim

Reply to
Tim