Cost to change Oil Sump Gasket on a Nissan Micra?

My mum's noticed a small amount of oil on the drive over the last week or so, it's not been noticable every day and because the cars are moved about we weren't sure whose car was doing it.

She took hers (T reg Micra) to the dealers who had a look and said the Oil Sump Gasket needed replacing.

They've quoted around £200 to do this, which seems a lot of money? I don't know the breakdown of this but presumably gasket, oil, maybe a few pence worth of washers?

What would people expect to be the going rate for this sort of thing being realistic that garages are businesses and expect to make a bit of profit :-)

cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul Hutchings

IIRC these have a liquid gasket, that alone could be £20 if you use the approved stuff. Oil will be between £25 and £40 depending on the garage. They may need some exhaust gaskets if the downpipe needs removing.

How astute of you!

Assuming they are on about £60/hour, and the job will probably be about

3 hours, I would say they've under-quoted you. Labour at £180, oil at, say £30, gasket at £10, that's £220 before adding VAT.
Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Silly question time but what's a liquid gasket?

Reply to
Mark

Don't worry I didn't want to be the first to ask :-) I assumed that instead a something solid it's like a sealant or something that forms a seal but isn't a physical gasket, if that makes sense?

cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul Hutchings

Correct.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

On a similar note - how easy is this to actually do on one's own?

I've had a quick look at my engine (Fiat FIRE) and it seems it's just as easy as the rocker/cam cover. Unbolt the bolts, sump comes off, new one on with new seal. And probably drain oil first too.

Reply to
T.

if access is good it can be very easy, bear in mind that the oil continues to drip off engine parts while you are underneath cleaning up the gasket faces, you will get very messy.

to the original poster, it is possible that the sump has rusted through and the quote includes a new sump.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful