Could 1 car push another car uphill bumper to bumper?

Could the same size and same CC car push another car uphill from being parked on the hill, bumper to bumper from being parked on the hill? This would be a manual car pushing the other, not sure if using an automatic would make a difference? Bringing up the clutch maybe a problem?

Don't suppose it would do any damage to the bumpers as would be done slowly and could be cushioned between the two bumpers.

Reply to
Robert Sulgrave

Tow ropes really aren't *that* expensive, you know!

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yes but we cant get another car in front to pull it. Will have to be pushed, the broken car is at the front. So will have to be pushed by another car if possible?

Reply to
Robert Sulgrave

How about pulling it down the hill?

Reply to
SteveH

The message from Robert Sulgrave contains these words:

I've never had any trouble. When people used to park across our drive I used to just push 'em down the road a bit onto the yellow lines so they got a ticket.

That was with the handbrake on, of course.

Reply to
Guy King

It depends on the hill and how much bumper damage you're willing to accept.

Last time I needed to get a broken car up a hill, I used the starter. Starters can manage surprisingly steep hills, especially if you take out the spark plugs.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

But did you ever "push them uphill", I would of thought pushing a car downhill be a lot easier than pushing it uphill? But still I wouldn't be pushing it uphill with the handbrake off so in my case wouldn't have that problem.

Reply to
Robert Sulgrave

Why would there be bumper damage as would be slow speed and the weight distributed evenly? I don't know if pushing the broken car up the hill by reversing the working car would make any difference, rather than doing it forwards?

Your saying you started it in gear and used the momentum to get it up the hill?

How many people would it take to push an average family saloon up a hill?

Reply to
Robert Sulgrave

Or stick it in reverse, pull out the plugs, and wind it on the starting handle ;)

Reply to
Stuffed

Yes it would almost certainly damage the bumpers. What I'm wondering is why you want to do it this way? OK, so there isn't room in front of the car, but there is enough room behind it to get a car in to push. Then what you do is let the handbrake off, roll the car backwards until there is room in front to attach the towrope.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Careful, you're giving your age away.

(Reminds me of that unforgettable scene in 'Ice cold in Alex'.)

Reply to
Partac

I've done that with a Citroen GSA ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Distribute one tonne of weight slowly and evenly on your head whilst it is on the floor. What would happen?. It's not just weight distribution and speed.

It's possible, but it's emabarrasingly slow.

Geez, I pity your kids. ;) Can't you take em to the cinema instead!

Reply to
Matt

They're going to get scuffed at the least, especially if they're painted. Also, bumpers are often just a thin skin over a foam base, so it doesn't take much pressure to crack the skin. If they're old cars, you might not mind a bit of minor knackerment.

I'm not sure what you mean about momentum, but I had to get a Sierra on to a set of full-length wooden ramps - about 300mm lift over a metre or so, one end of the car at a time. I took out the plugs, pushed the car to the bottom of the ramps, stuck it in gear and turned the key. The starter didn't even sound that taxed.

It took about eight to lift my old Metro out of a ditch, but that probably doesn't help much...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Ice cold in Alex?

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

It depends on how steep the hill is. & the bumpers, push starting Capris was never difficult.

Reply to
Duncanwood

You could always try one of these...

:-)

Failing that, if you do try push with another car, maybe putting an old carpet or blanket between them *may* minimise damage to the bumbers.

Reply to
mike

Can you not roll it back enought to get another car in front? Even pull it back would be preferable to shoving hard.

You will almost certainly get some bumper damage - it's just a question of how much you are willing to accept.

Reply to
Chris Street

Is that the one where they reverse a 7 tonner up the sand dune? And let go of the cranking handle nearly at the top by mistake?

Reply to
Chris Street

Although I can't help feeling buying a set of jump leads is going to be easier than any of the above.

Reply to
Duncanwood