Could Fuel Tank Crack When Fitting New Sender?

The sender needs replacing in my fuel tank, but because the part has never been changed in 25 years (age of vehicle), I've been told the tank may crack during the process. Would that mean a new tank, or could it be 'patched up'?

Reply to
Roclive

If it cracks it's because it was rusted to hell so was in need of replacing anyway.

Working with classic cars, I've not really experienced it. Just give the area around it a good go over with penetrating oil.

Personally, I'd be more worried about the wiring.

Reply to
Conor

Conor gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

More likely because the plastic had gone hard and brittle.

Reply to
Adrian

Can't think of any 25 year old cars that used plastic tanks.

Reply to
Conor

peugeot 205

Reply to
Mrcheerful

In message , Adrian writes

A plastic tank on a 25 year old car?

Reply to
Clint Sharp

yes, peugeot 205 on a B reg, absolutely certain, that was how an ex girlfriend died: the plastic tank split in a crash and the car caught light. to compound the problem the tank was fairly far forward in the car (hotter exhaust pipe) and has the exhaust directly below. renault traffic also had a plastic tank.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Conor gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I can.

Saab 900s had plastic tanks from the late '70s, IIRC. 2cvs gained 'em in the very early '80s.

Reply to
Adrian

Yup I think my 1983 900 did.

Charles