Crankcase breather

Hi

I've just bought a K&N filter to try on my old skool Celica liftback. The filter is a flat, round chrome one that fits on top of a standard Nikki (same as Aisan) carb. It's a standard, boring, 18R, 2000cc engine, 1977)

I'm not sure what to do with the breather hose that came from the rocker cover to the OE filter housing? The K&N doesn't accomodate this. I'm thinking either make a hole and pipe union in the K&N or use one of those little breather filters or is there another solution. Any thoughts?

AL

Reply to
Al M

Either a breather filter or get hold of a reservoir and have the breather pipe feed into that. You could also cut a hole in the baseplate of the filter and braze or solder a suitable diameter copper pipe to it to attach the breather pipe to.

Reply to
Conor

You're meant to use a small filter, but you are unlikely to pass the MOT if spotted. What you have done is decrease the performance of your car. It will suck hot air from the engine bay and the vent filter will put horrible fumes out. The warmer the air in to the engine, the worse the performance and the higher the fuel consumption. What you should have done is bought a replacement air filter element and put it inside the original airbox, maybe taking a slightly larger intake to it. Most people just buy the K&N so they don't have to change the paper element every year. It will do nothing noticeable for performance - in your case it will make it worse the way you have described it. You will also need to declare it to your insurance company and pay a higher premium or you will be breaking the law by driving uninsured as many of the boy racers do. Have an accident and you will have to foot the bill for both parties then face prosecution. You're best checking your policy as most clearly state that the car must be fitted with parts specific to that model recommended by the manufacturer - or equivalent parts made by another manufacturer.

Reply to
ray

Thanks for the tips, I only bought it because it looks pretty and was =A310 on ebay! I didn't really expect any gain in performance. I don't think the hot air issue will be much different, as the OE filter housing just had a bit of a spout; it wasn't an airbox/piped fresh air supply like a modern car. The only other thing I'm losing is the thermo controlled warm air thing when cold, but I only use the car in the summer anyway. I hadn't thought of the fumes issue, so I'll probably go for a hose fitting on the base of the filter housing.=20 cheers AL

Reply to
Al M

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "ray" saying something like:

You were spot on up until the next bit.

Then you spouted a load of unmitigated s**te.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Got any backing for that? Considering that when I was shopping around for insurance several companies told me that *anything* not fitted when the car was new would invalidate the policy? Even official maion dealer supplied optional alloys if they weren't fitted from new?

I know it's stupid, you know it's stupid, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Reply to
PC Paul

"PC Paul" wrote in news:Y9Rnh.26516$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk: unmitigated s**te.

My tax disc wasn't fitted when the car was new but I wouldn't expect it to invalidate the insurance IYSWIM ;-)

I have a K&N panel filter, fitted by the previous owner, and an OEM strut brace. I haven't declared these - I should do with the brace but never thought about it before. The filter is a long life filter which does not have any legible effect on performance AFAIK and this is also what I believe to be the case.

I also have OEM, but non-standard, platinum spark plugs. These are also long-life but have no significant effect on performance or appearance and therefore do not alter the insurance risk posed by driver and/or car.

OTOH, I see your point - if a situation arises where the insurance really don't want to pay out, e.g. if a huge compensation claim is involved, they may use any loophole available to them to deny the validity of the claim.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

Although every time it's gone to the ombudsman he's told them to get knotted.

Reply to
Duncan Wood