Crazing of glass (plastic) cover screen on Ford Focus instrument pod

Hi

I originally posted this in the Ford Focus group, without any response. I wonder whether anyone here can help me?

I have a Nov 2005 (55 reg) Focus Zetec (Mk 2 UK model) and there seem to be growing cracks in the glass/plastic transparent screen in front of the speedo, dials etc.

It has developed slowly, and we were slow to take it back for attention under warranty. Even though we have an 'extended warranty' the Ford dealer tells us that this is just cosmetic and they won't deal with it after the first year. A replacement screen is not available from Ford and they would charge about £300 for a replacement instrument unit that would mess up the mileage.

I can get a replacement unit from a breakers yard, but the dealer tells me that it would have to be fitted to replace the whole instrument unit, as the cover is welded in place. I'm wondering whether it is possible to do a decent job of separating the cover and swapping with my installed unit.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and have knowledge of whether a swap of the screen is a viable fix.

Thanks

Howard

Reply to
HowardB

You can correct the mileage on a new panel if you're a vaguely competent Ford dealership

If you're bored & enjjoy playing with a fine hacksaw blade & superglue then it'll be doable. It depends on how much you reckon your time is worth.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Have you actually had a price for the cluster? I understood that there were so many focus instrument faults that to reduce embarassment fords were doing the whole cluster at a loss at about 35 quid. mileage correction is easily done by many little dodgy firms or a ford dealer. or just tell the truth when you sell it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

And take a picture ..anyway the MOT Certs will show the mileage especially if you get it tested just before selling it .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

The Dealer quoted over £300. The breaker quoted £45

Any suggestions on what buttons to press to get a deal from Ford?

Cheers

Howard

Reply to
HowardB

it looks like it is just certain years or something, see the comments etc. at this link as a start:

Mrcheerful