Creaking rear end

I'm told the faithful 1994 Xantia tdi, now living in southern Italy has

developed a loud creaking from the rear end. Enough to draw attention from > the locals. > Was laid up out in the weather for two years before decamping to sunnier > climes and the brakes had to be derusted before the trip. Then the clutch > cable broke. Apart from that still runs perfectly with 170,000 miles up. > I'm suspecting trailing arm bearings. > DaveK.
Reply to
davek

That's just you're age.

Reply to
gazzafield

Clean & lube the rear height adjuster arm before it breaks.

Reply to
Duncanwood

I'd go for trailing arm bearings myself - although it won't hurt to look at the adjuster arm.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

The message from "Clive George" contains these words:

But make sure it's propped up properly on axle stands before you get under and waggle it or you might find yourself rather flatter than before.

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks to those with useful gen. Will pass it on. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

I suspect you are right. It's a standard Citroen failure mode, when it gets embarrassing enough then it's time to change them.

Reply to
Malc