Creaking suspension

The suspension, or something else, in my Ford Ka creaks when I go slowly over bumps - only at speeds below ~35mph and even if creeping over speedbumps it will still make the noise from front and rear (I think)

The car is lowered using -40mm lowering springs with stradard dampers.

Any idea where the noise is coming from or how to stop it?

Regards

Ben

Reply to
Ben Organ

In message , Ben Organ writes

I think the creaking comes from lower arm (front wishbone) bushes. They don't last very long on the Ka. On my wife's Ka it was noticed that the f/n/s one had started to go 8k miles from new. Her Ka has been creaking for a couple of years now.

It was serviced yesterday at 25k miles and the garage say that the f/n/s one needs doing within a couple of thousand miles and the f/o/s one has started to go but not so bad. I'm just about to post a question on replacing the bushes.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Does the creaking signify a problem though? Or does it just do it anyway?

Reply to
Ben Organ

Creaking is usually the ball joint, to prove it just attach a microphone to the arm and listen as you push the suspension down.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

In message , MrCheerful writes

Interesting. It doesn't creak if you push down on the wings, only when its actually being driven. I might drop the ball joint down and see if I can feel/hear anything.

Cheers,

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I know the one - so why does it creak and how do I fix it?

Reply to
Ben Organ

Me too, seems to me like its a force pushing back on the wheel that makes it creak - ie when you go over a speed bump the wheel is pushed upwards and backwards (opposite to the direction of travel)

Reply to
Ben Organ