Criminal activities at the BBC

I was once asked by my insurance company to get details from my "logbook". I said the car didn't come with one, which confused both of us for a few minutes, until I realised he was calling a V5 a logbook, and I was calling the service history a logbook. Quite why he would call a single sheet of paper a book I don't know. I've always known the service history as a logbook, it's a book that you stamp whenever you get the car serviced. It logs everything done to it.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

The predecessor to the V5 was a stiff fawn card, about A4 size, folded in three. When you bought a car you would write your name and address in a section and have it stamped at the Post Office. Previous owners' names and addresses would be in sections above, hence it represented a 'log' of ownership of the car.

Reply to
Max Demian

Yep no data protection in those days. I haven't got a V5 handy but I'm pretty sure that even the direct previous keeper isn't listed these days.

Reply to
Don

latest v5 has previous owner on the front page. original log book from the 50s had up to 8 owners listed, it is an odd size and folded into 5, giving 10 numbered pages, it includes spaces to be stamped when you bought a tax disc and a page to show petrol ration books issued.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

They rationed petrol? Why not just stick the price up? That would stop unnecessary use.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

I still have some petrol coupons issued against my RS1600 escort.

Reply to
Phi