Cruise control problem - temperauture related?

My cruise control in my 2006 tdi Touran stopped working last night. It had been working earlier on my journey but later on I noticed that the indicator light had gone out and it wouldn't set.

I turned off the ignition, re-started and the light came back on, only to go out again about 30 seconds later.

Today it's working fine.

The only thing I can think of was that last night the temperature on 0.5C, today it was 1.0C. Is the cruise control set to lock-out at low temperatures (i.e.

Reply to
Tim Downie

Possibly CC is disabled at temperatures approaching those where water on the road may freeze, thus preventing you from having the car in control of power when the wheels may randomly slip? I know I wouldnt want my car cruise-controlled when there's ice about - ECU senses car going too slow, engine throttles up, still no increase, engine throttles further--- soon youre spinning your ass off.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

That's what crossed my mind too but I've never noticed it before. Maybe it's just a "feature" rather than a fault.

Cheers.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Um, the car tells what speed you're doing using the wheels (mostly), so it'll know if one starts spinning. If they _all_ start spinning, it'll think you're going faster than you really are, unless it has accelerometers too.

Reply to
David Taylor

Depends on the car.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Not really.

If the "ECU senses car going too slow, engine throttles up" resulting in the wheels spinning, the ECU will sense the wheels speeding up.

I would still not like to be in a car with the wheels spinning under control of CC, but it won't just accelerate endlessly.

Reply to
David Taylor

I'm following your thinking.

Reply to