Current Focus- boring to look at?

Is it just me or is the current Focus a backward step aesthetically? The first one was original and still looks fresh. The new one is completely anonymous and boring looking. I don't think I've ever been as underwhelmed by a new model. Not that it's a bad car mind, just not outstanding and an also-ran aesthetically.

Also, I have noticed on brand new Focuses there's a touch of the 'orange peel' effect on the paintwork, like a respray. Is this because of a move to environmentally friendly paints or just shit QC?

Dave

Reply to
Morse

I prefer the new one but its really a matter of personal taste!

MattF

Reply to
Matt F

Yeah even the original focus dashboard was much more interesting. It's just a load of boring black plastic now.

Reply to
CWatters

The original Focus was more or less 100% designed and engineered at Ford's Dunton Technical Centre in Essex.

The current model was designed and engineered by Ford's Merkenich Technical Centre in Germany. I suppose it's right what they say about the Germans' lack of creative flair...

The only model from the current Focus range that I'd even consider owning is the ST, whereas I'd have been happy with a cooking model from the original range.

Reply to
Andy Tucker

Andy Tucker ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I don't want the car, but I *love* that orange shade.

Wonder how well it'd brush-paint onto the sheddy ol' van?

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks for that. Explains a lot.

Reply to
CWatters

I quite like the look of the new Focus model, you can see that it has something in common with Volvo S40. In fact the Estate version looks strikingly similar to Volvo V50. It's quite true that it has something German about it, efficient rather than flair. But then it's that type of no frills family car. As the Volvo, it looks durable, but whether this is real, remains to be seen.

Reply to
johannes