Cursed cam-belts.

The people who design cars aren't stupid. There must be a reason why they decided to opt for an external cam-belt instead of a timing-chain. I think that the effects of a cam-belt breaking are so flipping awesome that it's a major mistake. I'd much prefer that such an important function was entrusted to a stout internal timing-chain or (better still) to a couple of sprockets in a gear system driven from the crankshaft. So there I am, driving along in a car, and the effects on it of the cam-belt breaking far exceed it's write-off value. I chose my 2nd car, (cheap runabout) with care; it's an old Fiesta with a pushrod engine. An old workmate recently had his new cam-belt break a fortnight after it was fitted. Mine snapped a few years ago on the Fiat Fiorino van I was using while I was down in Zummerzet. Wah.

Stupid idea, the cam-belt.

Only recently heard that something as simple as too wild an application of WD40 on a damp Winter's day can rot the cam-belt. Wah.

Stupid idea. Grumble. I'd like a bunch of drivers/auto mechanics to "put their foot down" with the manufacturers on this issue. Fat chance. Wah.

RTTYRTTYRTTYRTTYRTTYRTTYRTTY

Reply to
RTTY

The message from "RTTY" contains these words:

Cheap and quiet. Mostly cheap though.

Reply to
Guy King

& historically it was a "stiffer" drive to the cam giving you more precise poditioning.
Reply to
DuncanWood

It's cheaper. Quieter. Can allow higher revs. Might save some space.

But mainly the first point for 99% of applications.

I'd not hate them quite so much if they made them easy to change - like most other drive belts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Takes me about 5 minutes on my car. But then I got a lot of practice before I realised that the distributor was timed up 2 teeth out from new.

Reply to
DuncanWood

When a timing chain goes on a OHC car, the effects are just the same. In fact you're barking up the wrong tree. It was chainging from OHV to OHC that caused the problem. You could go back even further and say that we should all be driving 2 strokes because they do away with valves altogether.

Reply to
Conor

You missed out the best one - having the water pump driven off the cam belt. Alternator belts now last for ever (they are doing hardly any work) - but if the water pump goes ...

Reply to
Richard Murphy

True. But it's nothing like as common as a belt snapping. It also usually gives warning through noise.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Honda motorcycle rattle of death, CX500 at least 3 tries at getting a cam chain tensioner that worked, CBX550 usual warning was oil dribbling down back of barrels where chain had eaten a hole out back of tunnel, on some of the VFRs they just gave in and used gear driven cams.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

The message from "Adam Aglionby" contains these words:

You're me, you are!

Reply to
Guy King

Yes - chains can be a problem on a high revving engine. But not for most ordinary car engines.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On all VFRs up to the latest VTEC version which reverted to camchains.

Reply to
SteveH

Thereagain cambelts don't cause problems on most cars.

Reply to
DuncanWood

DuncanWood ( snipped-for-privacy@dmx512.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Umm, yes, they do...

Reply to
Adrian

I've had about 12 cars, only one failed cambelt.

Admittedly, one of the cars can't count to the total as it was gear driven...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

If that was true, I think most cars would have problems caused by cambelts.

Reply to
Mark W

The message from "Tim S Kemp" contains these words:

I reckon 1 failure in 11 cars is pretty bad for such a crucial component. And this is assuming you looked after 'em and changed 'em at the proper intervals.

Reply to
Guy King

Mark W (s@o) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Most *individual* cars, or most designs of engine? I'd say that most designs of engine that use a cambelt have cambelt problems if not maintained scrupulously - and as belt changes become less common place through extended lives, it's going to happen more often.

Reply to
Adrian

In news:cm35lo$ajv$ snipped-for-privacy@news6.svr.pol.co.uk, Richard Murphy Slid in and muttered:

| You missed out the best one - having the water pump driven off the | cam belt. Alternator belts now last for ever (they are doing hardly | any work) - but if the water pump goes ... |

As mine did on my TD Astra - a £50 water pump ended up costing over £600 to put right after it seized - snapped the belt and the engine broke one set of rockers.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Astraman

In news:Xns9593C373B583Eadrianachapmanfreeis@130.133.1.4, Adrian decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

aye, I've *still* not got round to replacing the snapped belt on my Capri....

Reply to
Pete M