cylinder head in the Rover (again!!!)

Was losing water and the water tank was filling with gunk so had the cylinder head replaced. 3 weeks later im losing water and the expansion tank is filling with gunk?!!? surely it cant have gone already!!!

Reply to
Colin Mckechnie

If the coolant is fizzing and smelling of exhaust-you are correct. Only possible cheaper outcome is that you have two problems 1.Radiator or hose leak. 2.The gunk in the tank is old stuff that hasn't been cleaned out.(Unlikely). Where's the water going? Out of the exhaust- you should see steam. Down into the sump-dip the oil and check with Hellman's DaveK.

Reply to
davek

I did put some raidiator flush down last week.. was hoping that would clean it out a bit . no more steam coming out of exhaust.

Reply to
Colin Mckechnie

I'm assuming this is a K-series engine.

In which case:

"They all do that, sir"

Reply to
SteveH

Yeah but blowing the head gasket in 3 weeks??

Reply to
Colin Mckechnie

See above.

Reply to
SteveH

Or less if not correctly re-assembled.

You did-

1) change the inlet manifold gasket. 2) use the latest spec genuine rover gasket 3) replace the plastic dowels with metal ones (which come with 2) 4) have the head checked for flatness; a light skim is always recommended anyway 5) refill and carefully bleed the cooling system of all air after- allow 45mins to do this- they can be sods 6) re check the headbolts torque after initially using an angle gauge

didnt you?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

took it to a local garage

Reply to
Colin Mckechnie

No, then?

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

A local garage owner tells me that he refuses to renew head gaskets on these engines because they never work. A friend of mine had a gasket go on her car when it was about 4 years old and Rover gave her a new engine.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

I replaced the head gasket on my rover K series engine and it lasted about 10 days! I think I am going to try a new cylinder head from a scrap yard and see if that fixes it. If that don't work it's off to the local auction.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

( snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Didn't do it properly, then, did you?

Reply to
Adrian

If you dont have the head skimmed flat , use new bolts , and the best gasket you can get ( lets face it if rover cant get them to seal what chance have you with a cheap £5.00 gasket?) then you havent a hope in hell.

Reply to
R L Driver