Cylinder head - no dowels - is this a problem?

Hi all

I'm about to fit a recon cylinder head to the Ford Escort that I mentioned a few weeks back (broken cam belt - valves got she*gged) problem is that the old one went off with the two cylinder head to block retaining dowels in it and (you've guessed it) the new one is here without the dowels.

is this a problem?

As far as I can see the cylinder head bolts should hold the head in the correct position without the dowels - right or wrong?

Thanks

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

Yes, it could be. The dowels are a snug fit into the block and head, and ensure proper alignment, they also prevent the head moving about too.

The head bolts are a loose fit to the head, and could allow it to shift around while it's being bolted down. It won't be much, but it could be enough to cause a head gasket failure.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

yes it is a problem, you need the dowels to locate the cylinder head to the block correctly, some ones going to say the head bolts will hold it square, but those on their own are not enough.

we had a rover with a k16 engine come through the workshop, it had been worked on by the customer, he had done the head gasket, but couldn't get it to time up & run correctly, we stripped it again to find he hadn't re-fitted the dowels, new dowels fitted and it ran a dream.

Reply to
reg

Right - I'm on a dowel hunt then!

Thank you

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

I think that might have happened to my Rover 414 that I haven't had back for a week yet:-( pete

Reply to
turtill

You must must must have the dowels in place, and secondly be using new stretch bolts (which I am sure you are )

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)