Daewoo Lanos high Idle speed (2023 Update)

Hi,

My Daewoo Lanos is having a problem with its idle speed being too high. At a standstill it idles at about 1600rpm, and can be a bit embarassing at the traffic lights. I have removed the idle control valve, given it a good clean, and it seems to be moving in and out ok when I switch on the ignition. I have also removed and checked all the various small bore pipes that go between the inlet manifold and a pair of plastic boxes attached to the bulkhead (gawd knows what they do !) but no luck, it still idles like I have the foot to the floor...

Any ideas anyone, I cannot afford to take it to a garage at the moment,

Paul...

Reply to
paul.wordingham

Is it warming up properly?

AFAIK, these have a separate wax stat which lifts idle speed independantly to the ISCV when the engine is cold.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

There is a known fault on some Lanos that cause high idle and need an ECU software update. If you don't fancy paying Daewoo there is a temporary fix by:

Ignition On Disconnect Idle Speed Control Valve Ignition Off Re-connect Idle Speed Control valve Repeat 4 or 5 times Start Vehicle - It shouldn't idle unassisted so use the throttle. Keep vehicle idling on throttle to initialise self learn process It should now idle within parameters.

Reply to
John

Hi,

Thanks for the speedy responses. The engine warms up fine, but even when cold the idle seems faster than I would expect. Any idea where the wax stat would be ?

I will try the temp fix, and let you know if sucessful or not... fingers crossed,

Paul...

Reply to
paul.wordingham

Yes, on the inlet manifold. It acts directly on a supplimental air passage on the manifold. (rather than mechanically on the throttle linkage)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

Fantastic, the unplug ICV + ignition on/off trick worked !! Thanks ever so much for your help, now happily idling at about 800rpm.. I no longer sound like a boy racer ;-)

Paul...

Reply to
Wordy

Yes that seems to do the trick on these motors. Just repeat if the problem re-occurs. Another annoying problem I found on the Lanos is that when the car is rolling forward the speed sensor increases the revs to about 1300rpm but sometimes (especially if in heavy stop-go traffic) when the vehicle comes to a halt the revs don't always drop, but if you edge forward a couple of feet and stop again they will drop to normal.

Reply to
John

replying to paul.wordingham, fonda wrote: tps sensor or control valve, when changed must remove one battery lead for 2 minutes for cpu to reset

Reply to
fonda

High John, now that Daewoo are no longer around as a company do you know how i could go about getting this same service? My 03 Kalos is having the same symptoms as discussed.

Reply to
LJ

I hawe also problem with worming up engine. I decide to change termostat and I hope that failor will be removed and solved.

Reply to
marjan1200