Daewoo Matiz - How to turn off Warning Light

Hi,

My friend has a problem with his X reg Matiz whereby if he drives it in wet weather then the engine management system warning light comes on.

!st time he took it to a Vauxhall Dealer who charged =A335 to turn it out, and advised that there was an historical record to say that the oxegen sensor was dud - replaced for =A360 - =A3100 notes.

A few weeks later it rained again, went to an independant this time, same story, different sensor same cost.

It has now rained again, and it is now lit again, and he's just driving around with the light on. The car drives fine, and he's convinced there is nothing wrong with the sensors (the new ones or the ones he had replaced!)

He'd just like to know if there is a cheaper method of turning the light out. - I advised removing the bulb, but he want's something a little more satisfactory.

Any ideas?

Is it a question of shorting a couple of pins? or is there an electronic gizmo that can be had for not too much money that will do the job (he does have a desktop PC (windoze XP) if this can be done with some sort of interface & software.

Reply to
zikkimalambo

My friend has a problem with his X reg Matiz whereby if he drives it in wet weather then the engine management system warning light comes on.

I have a Pug 205 HDI that does exactly the same, Pug nor the dealer have been able to effect a cure, nor an explanation!!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Bloody hell, the HDi engine was in a 205? :)

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

What engine is it?

It's not so much that he needs to turn it off (remove bulb?) but that he needs to find out what the ECU is whining about and fix the root cause.

Having been through much weirdness with a 1.6 DOHC R reg Lanos (now cured), I learnt a bit about the ECU systems in general. An X reg motor should have an OBD-II diag port, often, for Daewoo, under the trim in the passenger footwell, to one side of the glove box. This is good as OBD-II is the de-facto modern standard. If so, it will be a 16-pin socket, two rows, in a slight D shape.

Take it to a small mechanic's workshop and ask if they will put a diag unit on it - you should be able to find someone to do that for 15-20 quid if you catch them at a quiet time. They should be able to read out the error log which may, if you're lucky, indicate a specific dodgy (and by the sound of it, non critical) sensor.

It *could* be water spray getting into a plug betwixt sensor and ECU and causing a "funny" reading that the ECU regards as a sensor fault. That's a long shot, but not impossible. Rule out crank shaft sensor (and cam shaft sensor if fitted) and fuel sensor as the engine generally doesn't start if those break. That leaves lambda (oxygen) sensor(s), a possible boat load of temperature sensors and maybe other minor and fancy sensors like anti-knock. I've heard once of a dicky throttle position sensor causing rough running, while still being OK enough to basically work, so that's another possible point of weirdness.

Long shot, but hope that helps.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Hi Tim,

Sorry to be so long replying.

It's a 3 cylinder engine (does that make it 800cc? or are they all 3 cly?

Reply to
zikkimalambo