daewoo valves

2000 Daewoo Leganza 2.0 16v auto.

Anyone know if the engine is 'interference' or 'non-interference' type?

Reason I ask is because on my parents the cam belt snapped, there was no noise or warning just a loss of power and a slow cruise to halt, this happened at under 40mph on an automatic (don't know what rpm). The (main) dealer has shown my mother the damaged valves and quoted a huge sum for repairs. However I'm thinking that if the valves have been damaged there would have been a lot of noise when the belt went and a lot of clanking when she tried restarting the engine, as none of this happened I'm wondering if the engine is non-interference and the dealer may be trying it on, charging for an uneccessary engine rebuild when all thats needed is a new belt and timing adjustment. Advice appreciated.

Reply to
Kay

All 16v engines are interference AFAIK. You will get the parts a lot cheaper through aftermarket sources than a main dealer though. You'll get the repair cheaper through a non main dealer garage too.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Not sure if it is an interference engine (bad luck, by the way) but if it is, and you have a plethora of bent valves under the bonnet, could the engine be seriously based on the cavalier (just like the rest of the car) enough for you to buy a used cylinder head assembly from your local breakers yard?

Reply to
Ex Alfa Adam

Dave Baker was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

Well, very few aren't - the Mazda 1.6l DOHC in the MX-5 being one of them.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

AFAIK the 16v Toyota Celica GT4 turbo engine is not. Presumably because of the turbo. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Ex Alfa Adam decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

It's a Leganza, not an Espero...

besides, they're based on Mitsibushi lumps IIRC. It's only the poverty model Nexia 8v that had the family 2 lump in.

Reply to
Pete M