Damn hydraulic bonnet struts. Duh!

Topping up the oil on Sunday. Left the bonnet open with a funnel inside the oil filler hole while I went to put the oil back in the boot. Wind caught the bonnet and it came crashing down. Broke the plastic funnel. Two bits went down under the camshaft. Had to take the rocker cover off (turned out to have been stuck on to the gasket). The bigger piece of plastic came out easily enough. The smaller one was half way down the oilway and needed some encouragement to come out.

Duh!

Reply to
Arry

oh dear.

Reply to
History

And because gasket sealant glue had been used on both sides of the gasket, bits of it were stuck to the cylinder head and bits of it to the rocker cover.

BTW does anyone know if oil from the oil filler hole generally goes straight down to the sump?

Reply to
Arry

The passageways it falls through might get a bit of plastic stuck in them, if that is what you mean. Any lumps dropped may never reach the sump and may never cause a problem. Even is bits do get down to the bottom then the strainer would keep them in the sump, the chances of an odd bit of plastic causing a problem are very low, I wouldn't worry about it.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I was just a little concerned that the smaller bit of plastic might block an oil passage somewhere downstream. But it's all sorted now. Lesson learned. LOL

Reply to
Arry

opps !!! I had a vw transporter in the workshop, took the rocker cover off and underneath these ones are soft rubber bushes to stop the cover being crushed when its tightened down, lifted it off and the rubber was stuck to the underneath of the cover & I watched it peel off and slide gently down the oil way !!!! bastard thing. managed to fish it out with a length of mig wire.

Reply to
reg