de-ionised water = distilled water = eau déminéralisée ?

Hello!

my car sprung a hose leak at home.i fixed it but lost all the water.

I just walked back from the nearest department store carrying 5ltr of holts distilled water & some concentrated radiator fluid to mix with.

now on closer examination i realised the product is actually "holts de ionised water / eau d=E9min=E9ralis=E9e - for batteries"

Can i use this as coolant? does de-ionised water retard or accellerate rust and corrosion compared to distilled water?

do the french call distilled water eau d=E9min=E9ralis=E9e? is it the same term?=20

many thanks, B

Reply to
beerismygas

Hi,

Distilled water is not de-ionised water. But you can use what you bought no problem. Just mix with the correct amount of anti-freeze.

BR,

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel

Distilled water is rare and expensive (all that energy to boil). Demin is cheap - just pass down an ion exchange column (re-generable) and remove all the ions. Not much difference between them. Why use distilled for coolant? (pure distilled tends to dissolve a lot of things to some extent, which is why it's hard to store) What's wrong with plain tap? One should never use just water anyway, but always run with antifreeze mix - as that has all the corrosion inhibitors in it.

Reply to
Ron Jones

Limescale buildup - something the anti-freeze cant stop IIRC. But then i use tap water as im cheap and drop fluids regularly.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

If you know anyone who works in a power station ask them to get you a few gallons from the water treatment plant. I used to work in one and used it for years. Sold it by the gallon for a while until I was caught on!

Alex

Reply to
JAT

Limescale! Only if you are using *gallons* of water. One would assume that the mix stays in the engine - there's only so much hardness, it can't keep making scale.

Reply to
Ron Jones

Also depends where you live - we never have problems at home with limescale so our water might be ok for an engine. In Derbyshire our kettle needed descaling every other week as there was so much lime in the water!

peter

Reply to
naked_draughtsman

"Ron Jones" a écrit dans le message de news:

44b69930$0$2070$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com...

j'avais cru comprendre que les groupes de discussion en " fr " se déroulaient en français " et pour des questions sur de la flotte, passionnant Eric

Reply to
franeric

Yes, but you don't fill the car as often as a kettle. I never had any problems in Essex (water hard as nails!) - even when I took the engines apart in my misspent youth...

Reply to
Ron Jones

What about using the condensed water from the cloth dryer ? Has somebody any experience on that ?

"Ron Jones" a écrit dans le message news:

44b6b84a$0$1055$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com...
Reply to
frischmoutt

I suppose you could distill that to remove the lint...

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Morton

As long as it is lint-free, should be fine. When I was growing up, we had a dehumidifier in the basement, and used the condensate for several such things--steam for clothes iron, car radiator, etc.

Eric Lucas

Reply to
lucasea

Easy for you to say!

Reply to
JAT

Comment dit-on en Français "cross-post"?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

">>> Eric

no, it 's not easy to say, when I post on an english or american news group l try to speak english , i don't speak very well but I try, and " croos post "in french seem to be " messages croisés " :=) Eric

Reply to
franeric

my english language cross post into the fr. domain was not meant to be disrespectful to any language. just that i would have appreciated some french expertise on the meaning of eau d=E9min=E9ralis=E9e. even though i wrote my message in english, the subject was bi lingual and was enough to understand my question.

en francais:

mon poteau de croix d'anglais dans le domaine d'armature n'a pas =E9t=E9 cens=E9 pour =EAtre irrespectueux =E0 aucune langue. juste que j'aurais appr=E9ci=E9 de l'expertise fran=E7aise sur la signification du d=E9min=E9ralis=E9e d'eau. quoique j'aie =E9crit mon message en anglais, le sujet =E9tait Bi lingual et =E9tait assez pour comprendre ma question

Reply to
beerismygas

en francais:

mon poteau de croix d'anglais dans le domaine d'armature n'a pas été censé pour être irrespectueux à aucune langue. juste que j'aurais apprécié de l'expertise française sur la signification du déminéralisée d'eau. quoique j'aie écrit mon message en anglais, le sujet était Bi lingual et était assez pour comprendre ma question

LOL :=) Eric

Reply to
franeric

J'aime des traductions =E9rron=E9es de Google :)

Reply to
Coyoteboy