Dealer servicing (or not).

Hi All,

I tried to help a mate who runs a garage today by pushing the rear stub axles out through the bearings on a pair of hubs for him using my

10 tonne hydraulic press.

He gave them to me to do because he felt the new hydraulic puller he recently bought (especially to do a particular customers car, a fairly new Focus) was just going to rip the wheel studs out.

The bearing in hub one just came to bits at about 10 tonne and I thought the second one had actually come out cleanly (at 12 tonnes) but had in fact broken the drum casting (the bearing had broken the casting, before the axle stub had pushed through the bearing).[1] He had already applied some heat and left it soaking in Plus Gas overnight :-(

We did manage to save the customer the cost of one stub axle (80 quid) and one hub (50 quid) so he felt that was better than nothing.

The point. He gets to service many cars once they have come off their main dealer warranty period and I have witnessed many instances where (for example) rear drums are very difficult to remove and when they are finally removed they often show signs that they have never been off in their lives?

If they aren't checking the rear brake shoes what else don't they check?

All the best ..

T i m.

p.s. I swapped the gearbox out on my 1978 Escort based kit car today. It only took an hour because we were cleaning stuff up as we went. Those were the days, basic nuts and bolts. ;-)

[1] In hindsight I should have turned a mandrel that would have supported the casting around the bearing, but I really didn't think something that is normally fitted by hand pressure would self destruct when getting it apart!
Reply to
T i m

the brake shoe thickness is checked through the inspection aperture. why would you need to remove the bearing unless it failed? the drum comes off with the stub axle to allow changing the cylinders and shoes.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Ok ..

You wouldn't, but you might want to remove the drum to check for wear on the drum itself, to clean the drum out, check for seized or weeping cylinder maybe?

Are you saying that's the correct way to remove the drum for inspection on Foci / Focusses, rather than just undoing the central nut and slipping the drum and bearing off the stub axle? Slipping it back on and doing the nut back up when done like he did the new one?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

That is the easiest way, also there is no risk of getting crap in the bearing, or damaging the oil seal or needing to renew the nut and grease cap. The drum is easily inspected with the stub axle still in situ. Another advantage is that you can use an air wrench to undo the bolts in moments rather than prise off the grease cap, unwind the big nut, pull the drum, drop the bearing etc.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It's also the way Haynes tells you to do the Fiesta.

However, when I once took it to a place called Better Brakes and noticed him start to undo the hub nut, just out of interest I said ' Oh Haynes says.... ' Well that's when he virtually threw me out the workshop.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

In message , T i m writes

Yes. I think even the Haynes manual recommends doing it this way.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Ok ..

Inspected but not replaced though. ;-)

Understood, however this bearing was a one piece (rather than two bearings I'm more familiar with I mean) affair nearly 2" long and there is no way the bearing itself is going to drop out of the drum (I used my press again to put the new one in and it's held secure by a circlip. You may mean the inner races falling out though (although I didn't think they could on this particular one).

The outer race on this bearing was shielded and I never saw the oilseal but would imagine it would be difficult to damage as the bearing would have everything aligned on the stub axle long before the seal got near it's running surface (but I get your point, there is no chance of damaging it if it isn't disturbed).

As for being clumsy ... ;-)

All the best ...

T i m

p.s. I must admit I'm not sure I like the idea of a fabricated stub axle in the first place?

Reply to
T i m

Hmm, I'll have to ask my mate what his Autodata thing suggests when I drop this hub back in a sec.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

If it's a BMW pretty well nothing they can't charge extra for, in my experience of main dealers.

My E39 went through many services and one MOT at the main dealer with an inefficient handbrake - one wheel had virtually no brake - despite many requests to sort the poor performance. (Which wasn't essential as it is an auto - just annoying)

When it failed an independant MOT due to the handbrake I looked at it myself. The adjuster was jammed on 'zero' and had to be removed and put in a vice to free it - it had left the factory like that. The dealer had 'adjusted' the cables to try and 'compensate'. Useless dishonest bastards.

It's well past the time that something should done about garage standards. A few hangings might sort things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

:-(

And that was really the point of my post Dave. Maybe this Focus with it's removable stub axles wasn't a good example but I have seem my (independent) mate removing many many rear drums because of something similar to your example has happened (the last being a driving instructor car and the handbrake was too difficult for some of the girl students to apply / remove for the hill start exercises) where the rear drums have never been off and in spite of a fully stamped up (and paid for) dealer service history?

And 'automatic brake adjusters ... ' :-)

IF, peering through an inspection hole is not guaranteed to allow you to access or address a situation fully then proper 'drum off' inspections should be done (and my mate does).

Agreed!

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to